Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buying a car how hard could it be

BMWHaus Contributor

buying a car how hard could it be

I often read threads/posts from people selling cars on DD ect and all the timewasters, lonely hearts, lowballers calls,texts at all hours ect. I never thought you can have all the same issues from the other side of the transaction.
    I am currently trying to buy a small cheap car for my daughter. I have scanned 100s of adds rang countless people who couldn't answer basic questions about the car they were selling. Of the ones we arranged to view sellers refused to answer phone to confirm viewing.
    Photos were years old when the car was initially bought and didn't resemble the present condition of the car.
    We had one situation where the owner jumped into the car and took off when I asked him about accident damage on.the car,and was there any negotiation on price.
    Can it really be that difficult :surprised:

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: buying a car how hard could it be

Quote Originally Posted by mac7
    I often read threads/posts from people selling cars on DD ect and all the timewasters, lonely hearts, lowballers calls,texts at all hours ect. I never thought you can have all the same issues from the other side of the transaction.
    I am currently trying to buy a small cheap car for my daughter. I have scanned 100s of adds rang countless people who couldn't answer basic questions about the car they were selling. Of the ones we arranged to view sellers refused to answer phone to confirm viewing.
    Photos were years old when the car was initially bought and didn't resemble the present condition of the car.
    We had one situation where the owner jumped into the car and took off when I asked him about accident damage on.the car,and was there any negotiation on price.
    Can it really be that difficult :surprised:
    What kind of car are you looking for?
    Any interest in my Fabia?

I went to see a 2006 Ford Ka last year. Photos looked good except the bumper looked a shade off in colour. (Photos taken in the shade!)
    Seller was selling for his daughter as she was in college and living in the city, Told me the bumper was painted as it got scuffed. Fair enough...

Went to see it and:
    -Front bumper, Driver wing and bonnet looked like they were painted by a 3 year old with crayons. (Painted because the neighbours cats used sit on it and scratch it apparently!)
    -Driver side front wheel etc.. were sat about 2/3'' towards the rear and wheel cambered in.
    -Best bit? It had 11months NCT.... NCT was actually fake and a very good one too!

Basically got a heavy smack in the front right, Bent chassis legs and suspension damaged... Painted up, a fake NCT and onto DoneDeal.

Made my excuses and left, Car was marked as sold I think 3 weeks later.

When I see a car, I use the below:
    Tells you if it had a change of owner in the last 3 months, (Vehicle transaction enquiry)
    https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/welcome.do;jsessionid=0aa0114730d7bd564bb902644d3c 9ed2d26c0254ce38.e38PaNaSbh0RaO0LaxqOe0

Put in the reg, gives NCT/Tax expiry (If current) and number of owners (Not always though)
    http://carsireland.ie/add.php

This tells the date when it's next due an NCT, (Handy for spotting fake discs)
    https://www.ncts.ie/booking_app/Bookings/NCTReminder.aspx?language=english

Best of look in the search, It's getting harder and harder to get early 2000 good small engined runabouts (Fiesta/Yaris/Golf etc..)

BMWHaus Contributor

She is looking for 1.2 or lower (provisional licence on her own insurance)
    NCT, 5door, 1500 euro..(not to mention a number of really important womeny bits colour ect :toungethat aren't that important :wink:
    Along the lines Clio, Polo, Fabia, Ibiza.
    I think when your budget is at the lower end of the market it's pretty much full of bottom feeders :wink:.as in chancers selling cars or chancers looking for something for nothing.
    If your car fits the bill would be interested cheers

Is 1.2 necessary? I insured a 1.4 Golf on a provisional for just over €1k with FirstIreland 2 years back.

I had a quote of €3.5k on a '98 1.3 Fiesta with AxA at the time!!

BMWHaus Contributor

She has been trying to get in touch with her insurance company on that A.1.4 definitely opens up a lot more possibilities and a much better selection. Maybe that's where it will end up.

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by RossYB
    I went to see a 2006 Ford Ka last year. Photos looked good except the bumper looked a shade off in colour. (Photos taken in the shade!)
    Seller was selling for his daughter as she was in college and living in the city, Told me the bumper was painted as it got scuffed. Fair enough...

Went to see it and:
    -Front bumper, Driver wing and bonnet looked like they were painted by a 3 year old with crayons. (Painted because the neighbours cats used sit on it and scratch it apparently!)
    -Driver side front wheel etc.. were sat about 2/3'' towards the rear and wheel cambered in.
    -Best bit? It had 11months NCT.... NCT was actually fake and a very good one too!

Basically got a heavy smack in the front right, Bent chassis legs and suspension damaged... Painted up, a fake NCT and onto DoneDeal.

Tells you if it had a change of owner in the last 3 months, (Vehicle transaction enquiry)
    https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/welcome.do;jsessionid=0aa0114730d7bd564bb902644d3c 9ed2d26c0254ce38.e38PaNaSbh0RaO0LaxqOe0

Put in the reg, gives NCT/Tax expiry (If current) and number of owners (Not always though)

Best of look in the search, It's getting harder and harder to get early 2000 good small engined runabouts (Fiesta/Yaris/Golf etc..)
    Thanks lots of useful stuff especially about fake nct's. You just scared the shite of me, it's a bit clearer now cause a lot of the questions I was asking would explain the vague answers.

BMWHaus Contributor

Went to see it and:

Just take the carsireland site with a pinch of salt. It says my cars tax is out, but yet I'm looking at an April 15 disc in her window.

^ Out of interest did you just tax it in the last month?
    Can take a few weeks to update tax/NCT on there.

BMWHaus Contributor

^ Out of interest did you just tax it in the last month?
    Can take a few weeks to update tax/NCT on there.
    Yeah I did actually. The start of January.