Thread: Oil options (and deals?)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Oil options (and deals?)

Coming to terms with the M54's thirst for oil as I'm doing fairly highish mileage at the moment.

I was buying fairly haphazardly as I got caught out unexpectedly by the yellow oil light a couple of times, early on at least, so usually got the nearest BMW LL01 I could find, so there's a few different brands gone in, including the Lidl one.

I'm wondering about what people are going for, how much of a difference is there between the different manufacturers oils, whether the magnatech etc are worth the premium, should I be requesting a particular oil at service time? Are there are any good deals to be had, and if they should be avoided (e.g. that Lidl oil was incredibly inexpensive - almost worryingly so, does it do a good job)?

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

RE: Oil options (and deals?)

if U want to get write of your car asap , use lidl oil !!

BMWHaus Contributor

I just use the total oil from micks garage 5l containers ll04 around 30 euro each When servicing order an extra one to keep it topped up, no complaints so far (free delivery over 30 euro)

BMWHaus Contributor

I've always used castrol , or miller on vag's , never went for the cheap oil , and mixing oil is not good for the engine , there's a few ads with castrol 20l drum , get one of those , should be enough for topping up )

BMWHaus Guru

Oil options (and deals?)

Quote Originally Posted by mac7
    I just use the total oil from micks garage 5l containers ll04 around 30 euro each When servicing order an extra one to keep it topped up, no complaints so far (free delivery over 30 euro)
    +1 used it last service

BMWHaus Guru

Oil options (and deals?)

Micksgarage are still doing edge for 29.99

The Total Quartz oil mentioned (9000 5W/40 Fully Synthetic - LL-01) is just under €30 for 5L.

Anyone using Castrol Magnatec? You can get 5L for €40 on MicksGarage at the moment.

It has a 5W-30 C3 version which is LL-04. From what I've read, the oil specs are backward compatible so you can use LL-04 or LL-01 in an LL-98 spec'd engine, but not LL-98 in a LL-01 spec'd engine.

Is the magnetic clinging property and the R&D of the Castrol worth an extra tenner or two?