Thread: E39 Diff. Which one?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

E39 Diff. Which one?

Ok so I have a 1998 e39 520i and it came with a welded diff. And it is not that great so i want a normal diff but don't know much about them. So don't know which one to get. Also I bought it thinking it would be great to mess about in private tarmac or what not but it will not go side ways(Maybe it's my driving) so just want to go back to stock or even a better one than stock if there is such available.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E39 Diff. Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by 99belle99
    Ok so I have a 1998 e39 520i and it came with a welded diff. And it is not that great so i want a normal diff but don't know much about them. So don't know which one to get. Also I bought it thinking it would be great to mess about in private tarmac or what not but it will not go side ways(Maybe it's my driving) so just want to go back to stock or even a better one than stock if there is such available.
    hows things, check through my threads, i had exactly what you are looking for with half shafts for sale a while back, not much use now but my advert will give you the ratio etc. Also if you're stuck I can enquire if the guy that got it has it still and would sell but to be honest the easiest way is just look for a similar car been broken on donedeal and get the diff. There is an m5 lsd for sale on bmw-driver.net he's based in ashbourne but whether it will fit ratio wise and size you'll need to check. For a standard open diff correct for your car pay 50 max.

RE: E39 Diff. Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    Quote Originally Posted by 99belle99
    hows things, check through my threads, i had exactly what you are looking for with half shafts for sale a while back, not much use now but my advert will give you the ratio etc. Also if you're stuck I can enquire if the guy that got it has it still and would sell but to be honest the easiest way is just look for a similar car been broken on donedeal and get the diff. There is an m5 lsd for sale on bmw-driver.net he's based in ashbourne but whether it will fit ratio wise and size you'll need to check. For a standard open diff correct for your car pay 50 max.
    I don't have €500 to spend on one. Out of interest what difference would that M5 one have over stock and welded?