Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spacer problem

BMWHaus Contributor

spacer problem

today as I had nothing to do I was planning on fitting my spacers,fitted one and tightened up the nuts,looked well,took off to try a wider one but the spacer had come apart,the lip and broke away from the rest..they are aluminium..ever happen to anyone
    Attached Images Attached Images

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: spacer problem

They shouldnt break like that, that easy. A cheap, poor quality part perhaps?

BMWHaus Guru

What brand are they?

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

spacer problem

They look a bit dodge to say the least James, was the spacer center bore very tight on hub? Are the spacers just a diy machined set etc?

www.instagram.com/super4bmw

BMWHaus Contributor

no,they are scc and sold by schmiedmann as its marked on the box...DIDNT BUY FROM SUPER4 if anyone is wondering..bought them secondhand but they weren't used.they slipped on lovely tight to the new disc I put on..very odd..the person I bought from wouldn't have known either..to be fair.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

spacer problem

Well that shouldn't happen and surprised with them being scc, they are a german company with Schmiedmann only being a dealer for them. SCC also have a main agent in the UK but they are hard to get through to. Sorry to hear your troubles James.

www.instagram.com/super4bmw

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

try another spacer as I said before .im nearly 100% sure I have tried all of them as I have checked their fitting on other cars to see the best stance . have no idea why it could brake like this , only if hub is after market one and lip is too big so main spacer wall didn't sit properly to brake disc

BMWHaus Contributor

well today i checked the not broken 7mm spacer against the 2 front disks and theres a tinygap when they are pushed to the disk.barely get a bit of paper between them but that's why the other spacer broke..
    my solution is put the 7mm and 9 mm on the one wheel to give 16mm spacer..looks quite well now but need spacers for the rear now..
    put the broken spacer on the inside and the 9 mm one on outside of the broken spacer to keep the lip for the wheel..
    emergency over I think..

BMWHaus Guru

I thought hubcentric spacers had to be at least 10mm?

I have 7mm ACS spacers, but the spacer is an adaptor in itself so so doesn't that it's less than the 10mm

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Don B
    I thought hubcentric spacers had to be at least 10mm?

I have 7mm ACS spacers, but the spacer is an adaptor in itself so so doesn't that it's less than the 10mm
    thought so too, well for the E46 CB anyway.
    It looks like there was not enough material to allow for any strength, look how thin it is where it broke.

personally i would dream of putting two spacers together to make 1 larger spacer.