So new site, thought I would try make some content. One of my most favourite BMW's I have owned was the e92 335i. I will give my review of the car and the issues I had that a buyer should look out for. These cars are going for a song these days, and hit a really good priceerformance ratio.

So the e92 came out in 2006 with the 335i and the 325i at launch, the 335d, 320d came out the following year along with the msport kit for all models. I purchased a second hand late 2006 car in 2008. It had 40,000km on the clock. Good spec.

The 335i had the new N54 engine based on the classic straight 6 BMW 3 ltr engine.

"The N54 is a direct injection twin-turbocharged straight-6 automobile engine from BMW.[1] It debuted at the 2006 Geneva Motor Show and was launched in late 2006 as a high-performance option for the BMW 3-Series, first to be released along with the new 3-series E92 Coupé, to be followed closely by other existing 3-series models, then with other BMW series as well. The N54 has won five straight International Engine of the Year awards,[2] and three straight Ward's 10 Best Engines awards.[3]
The use of two small turbochargers plus direct fuel injection allows for a broader power band and less turbo lag than previous turbocharged gasoline engines. Despite its relatively small-displacement, the N54B30 provides the midrange torque of a mid-displacement V8 engine more efficiently and at less weight."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ36aCWPcJs

Later 335i used a single turbo. With 306 BHP and 400Nm torque its a fast car. THe sound is fantastic, being a combination of V8 type rumble, with e46 M3 pops and rasp. While the reviews often say there was little turbo lag, this simply is not true. There is a very definite step in power after 2k revs, but you soon get so accustomed to it, you put power on early knowing when it will come in.

The Good:
1. The interior was lovely a real step up from the e46. IDrive is good for me.

2. The speed. Realy fast car, e46 M3 fast on the straight.
3. Economical, I easily saw average of 27MPG with motorway crusing at around 38 MPG.
4. Good looking, although the chrome strips around the windows on my SE was not to my taste.

The Bad
1. Reliability issues. A well maintained car will have had a lot of these sorted.
  • Injectors fail regurarly on early cars
  • Wastegate rattle, although this is only audible to senstive drivers, I did not have this issue.
  • High Pressure fuel Pump failure, mostly on US car due to fuel quality but a few UK cars had it too.
  • Excessive wear on the drive seat due to the way the belt rubs off it.
  • Seat Belt arm contraption breaks on a lot of cars.
  • Alloys prone to cracking on a number of styles.

2. The ride. even SE spec cars have msport suspension. This is in my opinion too firm. On runflat tyres it would know teeth out your head to go over a small pothole. Even changing lanes on the motorway and driving over a cat eye was jarring and irritating. Moving to non runflats help a bit but the suspension is too firm.
3. The back seats are pretty useless.
4. Brakes are a bit spongy, braided lines and good fluid improve this a lot.

I remapped my car which a lot of owners do. The gains are mostly in torque but it also makes the turbos kick in sooner smoothing out the lag. Well worth it. There is no LSD meaning a M car will be easier to control round corners, but an aftermarket one is available

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHoj0XUg058

All in all, I think that these are great cars. Anyone looking to buy one fire me off any questions. I can only speak from my own experience, for what its worth. I know a few owners of e92 and e93 onwers an they all love them. I loved mine and still miss it.

My advice for prospective Buyers
1. Buy on condition, mileage is not the major factor. The book should have documents about work done, injectors etc.
2. Check the computer for the CBS stats, it brakes are coming up that's a big bill.
3. Check the rubber, rear go quick and the negative camber on them wears the inside thread.
4. Get it up on a ramp and check the alloys, even welded rims are not cool.
5. Get an Auto, seriously the ZF box in these is fantastic. Manuals are rare for a reason.
6. Dont remap straight away, wait till you have owned for a while then its like having a new car.
7. These are not as cheap to run as they are to buy. Budget at least €1500 euro a year for maintenance and service items.
8. One that has been kept in the BMW dealer network for service is much more likely to allow you to get goodwill gestures from BMW on injectors. They did it for me cause I was a good boy.
9. Dont buy one if you have a bad back. They are shit in the snow also.

Will update thread as thing come to mind.