Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E36 Gear Shift sloppy

E36 Gear Shift sloppy

Got my e36 on the road now and the gear shift is quite sloppy, just wondering what parts i need to renew the bushes, i'll also probably go with the x5 gear lever as i have one in my e30 and love it.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E36 Gear Shift sloppy

I got a z3m ssk from @[Super4] for my old 323i and gear shifts were very precise afterwards (not to mention incredibly short) it wasn't exactly sloppy before but it definitely improved it hugely. Would highly recommend it. If you have an iS or 4 pot you will need the z3 ssk, not as short but very good also.

Go to realoem pop in your vin and select the gear box diagram you will see all the small bushings you need this with an ssk should have it better then new

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Go to realoem pop in your vin and select the gear box diagram you will see all the small bushings you need this with an ssk should have it better then new
    I'm not 100% sure but I think the small bushings etc come with it. Cab will be able to confirm. They're definitely not expensive if they're not included anyway.

Doubtfull some of the bushings are 10-20 quid , possibly the circlips your thinking of

BMWHaus Guru

My order with Cab was a mile long so I can't remember exactly

BMWHaus Contributor

There's a plastic bushing on the shift lever itself (Item 7)
    There can be two plastic washers on the pin that connects the shift lever to the linkage (Item 10) (Depends on year of the car)
    There's another bushing (Item 2)
    If you wanted to go further there's a small piece of foam inside where the gear linkage connects onto the gearbox (Item 14)

Quote Originally Posted by EndaC

There's a plastic bushing on the shift lever itself (Item 7)
    There can be two plastic washers on the pin that connects the shift lever to the linkage (Item 10) (Depends on year of the car)
    There's another bushing (Item 2)
    If you wanted to go further there's a small piece of foam inside where the gear linkage connects onto the gearbox (Item 14)

Nice, one, thanks for that. Are the bushing expensive? Them few bits with the X5 lever should make a huge difference.

BMWHaus Contributor

They're not too bad, I think the main one is about a tenner and the others are 3 or 4 euro each. €20 should do the lot of them i'd say

BMWHaus Guru

I'm gonna put up an unused UUC DSSR for sale shortly if you're interested. When i ordered the kit a couple of years ago i got the straight one and not the one with the bend in it.