Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2002 e39 525iA Sport - what's it worth?

BMWHaus Guru

2002 e39 525iA Sport - what's it worth?

171k miles - I love this car but it might be the one that's one too many.
    Thread on it here:

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26225

What's it worth?

Trying to decide if I will sell it.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

Re: 2002 e39 525iA Sport - what's it worth?

Keep the more door back doors can come in handy

BMWHaus Guru

I think this is a really difficult one. If it were just 71k on the clock I'd say it's worth €5k all day long as it looks super clean, and I'm sure it is as clean as it looks having seen your (first e63) and your e36.
    The problem is the mileage will go against the value here but the condition will offset it to some degree. On balance would you get €3,000 for it? I'd say it's worth a shot by advertising it at €3,500.

(But you know you should keep it!)

BMWHaus Guru

RE: 2002 e39 525iA Sport - what's it worth?

I know the mileage is high, and you're right the condition of the car is very good. I might have mentioned before it has been requested & used for a few weddings as the grooms man or bridesmaid transport, as it always looks so well!

So there's no justification in keeping the car on the basis that it is a low mileage example & in future years that it will be worth something. Plus I already have the e36 convertible tucked away.
    The e39 has given me 9 years of great, fun & reliable service but it doesn't have a novelty factor to warrant keeping it, I can somewhat justify the e36 as it is a convertible, that's its novelty factor.

Because of the e39's mileage I have receipts folder that is bulging, I've done all the "problem" jobs between the 110-130k mile mark including:
    - CCV replacement
    - Alternator rebuild
    - New Fuel pump
    - Cooling system overhaul (new radiator, water pump, thermostat, hoses, all OEM)
    - New OEM front wheel hubs/bearings
    - Lemforder front suspension
    - Rocker cover & oil filter housing gasket
    - Front cup holders, replaced twice!
    That's on top of the maintenance type items that are always done on time like brake discs/pads, plugs, oil, brake fluid, etc.

I've also got some pretty neat extras in the car:
    - OEM Xenons from factory
    - Rear view mirror with compass
    - e46 M3 SMG with working paddle shift on auto box (cost me mental money new!)
    - OEM fire extinguisher
    - OEM first aid kit
    - Sony "Sound on top" amplifier, Pioneer premium speakers all round & DICE iPod integration
    - My custom door handle illumination

It has a nice spec & the fun memories I had in it which is tipping back in favour of keeping it but there's no storage space in sentimentalities! At €3k it wouldn't even cover the yearly cost of the Motor tax for the other two and that is the dilemma.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Guru

If you have a garage/shed that you can dry store the car indefinately then keep it. If you can SORN the car and walk away and forget about it then keep it.

If not, then it will continue to be a drain on your resources in some form or fashion whether that be your time ir financially.

Imo I think you should punt it on to take the sting out of running the other 2. Or buy a set a pipes for the ///M. :happy:

Would be different if the car had a use buts its stable mates have made it redundant and keeping it will just be a drain on your resources.

BMWHaus Guru

As mentioned the mileage will be the only off putting thing, but all you need is one viewer! And one look at the service history. The car is in amazing condition! Would someone really pick a car that's not as well maintained or specced over yours because it has 120-130k instead of 170k? I know I wouldn't.

BMWHaus Contributor

Firstly what a well specced, minded car.
    Unfortunately the value of something is only what someone is willing to pay, which by the sounds of it doesn't come close to the emotional (not to mention the financial) attachment with the car so money is only part of your decision. With that taken taken in to account my advise would be put it into storage for a while if you miss it keep it (I would anyway) if not cut it loose an move on.
    For some cold home truths bring it to a garage and see what they say on its value. Your probably not going to like what they say but that's what the industry values the vehicle at, as the two biggest drivers of a cars value is a number bolted on to the front an rear of a car and another displayed number on the dash. Both have nothing to do with a vehicles intrinsic value.

BMWHaus Guru

Tough one, I would've thought an enthusiast buyer is your only bet, and you'll probably have to hold out a while for one. Otherwise, is it worth €2k, when you look at the mileage and engine size? (Which I know isn't large, but for the regular punter, it is).

I've looked at selling my 325 (also 2002) several times, but I'll never get what I want for it, so it's staying for the foreseeable.
    But then again, I don't have a couple of other lovely cars already in the garage to choose from

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Don B
    Tough one, I would've thought an enthusiast buyer is your only bet
    Here's one now

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by Don B
    Tough one, I would've thought an enthusiast buyer is your only bet
    Here's one now
    Sorry, I meant to say 'Andy'