Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moe's e70 X5 Review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

Moe's e70 X5 Review

Moe's e70 X5 Review

I have owned a 2007 e70 X5 since 2009. Its a 7 Seater, full msport spec. Its a 3ltr diesel an remapped fro economy. My wife drives it every day. Here is my review of it along with links I looked at when buying mine.

We bought this cause we have kids and dogs. Its massive. The e70 X5 came out in November 2006. It is manufactured alongside the new, 2009 BMW X6 at BMW's Greer, South Carolina plant in the USA and BMW's facility in Toluca, Mexico.

I think the styling is a major upgrade from the previous model e53. Its wider, and longer. Very intimidating car especially with the wider Msport track. Hansom brute. The driving position is very high with great road view, but little view of the road so navigating down tight car lines streets is a nerve racking process. The interior is very e60 5 series but noticeably wider.

The 3lt Diesel is the most common Irish model although the twin turbo version from the 535d is available and sweet as a nut. However the 3ltr single turbo is a fine engine. Surprisingly fast off the line, especially with the always on 4WD. Fuel consumption is around 30 on motorway trips and around town about 18-19mpg. All in all the consumption sucks.

Good Points
    • Big and Comfortable, king of the road type car.
    • Loads of room for kids, dogs etc.
    • Powerful engines, good towing capacity.
    • Styling is great.
    • Fine dynamics for such a big car, feels like a car not a boat.

Bad Points:
    • Service cost, the brakes and tyers are the big ones. Such a heavy car.
    • Reliability issues, hard on suspension parts, fuel pump prone to failure, oil seal leaks from drive shaft, interior trim issues, battery issues need a upgraded battery over 50 control units to power on start-up the OEM battery is not up to the task.
    • Depreciation...Oh my god.
    • Costs more at the car wash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWf3md9mcNs

My Advice to prospective buyers
    1. Buy on condition but driving style is important. A car that has done a lot of short journeys is going to show more wear and tear.
    2. Get it on a ramp and inspect the suspension, its hugely complex so get a professional.
    3. Make sure all the interior buttons and trim are all present and working, especially the handbrake button.
    4. City driving will cost you.
    5. The alloys will get curbed, live with it.
    6. The bumper trim gets oxydised, easy to clean dont worry about that.
    7. Great in the snow.
    8. New rubber is worth nearly 2k on the bigger alloys.

Will update as I think of things.

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Moe's e70 X5 Review

They are very nice cars alright. A customer of mine has a 2007 one too and he retrofited the lci headlight with led. Basically with angels eyes on only he can drive at night on the motorway. Very bright white light. Really gives the front an even meaner look.
    He paid 3k though for everything as he bought a brand new set from the dealer.

BMWHaus Guru

Moe's e70 X5 Review

Very good write up Moe thanks. I would like one some day.

BMWHaus Guru

That's a good clear write up, thanks Moe.
    How have you found the switch gear with a few years of use? When we bought the e53 X5 it was over an e70 because the few we looked at hadn't aged well on the inside, though I should add they were very early models.

BMWHaus Contributor

Had the electronic handbrake button come away and the fancy glove compartment trim has peeled. Leather is fine and the buttons are otherwise OK. Usual steering wheel trim wear I have seen on every BMW.

I think the interior is very nice, the seats are really comfy and adjustable and the IDrive really tidies up the cabin.

Administrator

Great right up Moe!

Would definitely like one....and as you say, a far more handsome brute over the E53!

But will ya give it a wash!

BMWHaus Guru

Thanks.

We were just saying the other day that the e53 is starting to look really dated and at some stage will likely upgrade to an e70. It's good to hear that they're lasting the distance.

BMWHaus Contributor

Sold this car bought a 132 Mazda 6 estate instead, a matter of practicality unfortunately. Down to one beemer

BMWHaus Guru

Sorry to hear that Moe, but those Mazda 6s are supposed to be great cars. Well wear

BMWHaus Contributor

moe, sorry for dragging up an old thread, but would you recommend one of these buses?