Thread: F10 automatic 7/8 gear gearboxes

F10 automatic 7/8 gear gearboxes

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy F10 2010 520d and it has 7 gear automatic gearbox with paddle shift.
    My question is - some of them have 7 speed automatic gearboxes with paddle shift on the steering wheel, and some of them 8 speed gearbox.
    What is the difference between 7 and 8 gears gearboxes and which one is better?
    I found that M5 has 7 gear automatic gearbox but I couldn't find any info regarding 520d with 7 gears.

Thank you for answers.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: F10 automatic 7/8 gear gearboxes

Mine has the 8 spd sports automatic transmission. The shape of the gear leavers are different between the 7 and 8 speed models

BMWHaus Guru

Automatic transmission.
    Intelligent technology meets dynamic power: the electronically controlled automatic transmission system enables a sporting, dynamic driving style – without a clutch pedal. It makes driving less demanding and adapts to suit your individual driving style.

Instead of a mechanical connection between the lever and the engine a serial bus system is used to convey information about the change. This saves space and weight and minimises engine noise, as without a mechanical connection vibrations are not felt in the vehicle's interior. Stress factors are minimised and the journey is more comfortable.

The electronic gearshift control ensures that gear changes are executed without any loss of tractive force, adapting the timing of the shift to suit the current driving situation. The intelligent electronic system takes into account the driving style, whether it's winter or summer, whether a trailer is being towed or whether the road is at sea level or in the mountains. It also notes the speed and position of the accelerator. If the driver presses the pedal past a perceptible resistance a kick-down switch automatically changes to the gear that allows the most optimal acceleration. The precise adjustment of the gear change processes enables a unique combination of sporty and dynamic driving and low consumption.

The optional BMW 8-speed automatic transmission sets standards in dynamics and efficiency and is a central component in the BMW EfficientDynamics measures. The particularly smooth gradations of the gears allow optimal power development – from low to high speeds. This markedly reduces fuel consumption while further increasing sportiness and dynamics. The extra gears reduce the number of revolutions at high speed and thus the consumption and engine noise.

The system is supported by the newly-developed and more efficient converter clutch – even if you use the electronic gearshift lever to change gear manually. Combined with precise shifts and low rev intervals between changes, the transmission ensures extremely comfortable gear changes and markedly reduced background noise. The BMW 8-speed automatic transmission is the first automatic transmission available with Auto Start Stop function. This doesn't just save fuel when driving, but also at every traffic light.

Sporty ambitions? Experience maximum dynamics, efficiency and driving comfort with the optional 8-speed Sport automatic transmission: its short shift times improve acceleration and aid sporty driving. The gentle gradation of the eight gears reduces the engine's rev interval between shifts, so the transmission process is barely noticeable. At the same time, the engine is always held at the rev level at which it can optimally utilise its strength – increasing dynamics and efficiency and reducing the noise level. The eighth gear reduces the number of revolutions at high speeds, tangibly increasing comfort while reducing fuel consumption and emissions.

The double-clutch transmission of the 7-speed Sport automatic and the M DKG stand for extraordinary sportiness and dynamic driving pleasure. Composed of two interlocking, mechanical parts, it shifts to the next gear while the previous one is still active. The gear change is thus completely without interruptions.

With the Steptronic, drivers that want to take hold of the reins can transform any BMW automatic transmission to a 'manual' one with press of a button. Depending on the model, the driver can then change gears manually using the gear lever or the shift paddles on the steering wheel. For unrivalled driving pleasure – right down to your fingertips.

Which one is better is difficult to say, it depend of the driving style but 520d not a sport car.

Thanks Camnhoj for the posts.

BMWHaus Contributor

My one is 8 speed and I have to say it's perfect. I've had loads of auto bmws before and this is really something special. You can barely feel the car change gear when cruising. And the gear changes are very fast as well.

BMWHaus Contributor

My dad has a 13 520d Sport with the sports auto box (different shape gear knob and paddle shift), and i can say its absolutely stunning. I know the 520d isint a sports car but i got out of my remapped 535d and into the 520d and it really really surprised me with the way it went through the gears and the momentium it gained.

I can't comment on the 7-speed but the 8-speed is an absolute gem. Seamless changes and the car can drive at barely over 1000 rpm at 60 (530d). Its extremely fast when changing manually (first time I tried it in the new X5, i thought it was a DSG) no resemblance to the older 6 or 5 speed autos in my opinion.

BMWHaus Guru

7 speed auto doesnt exist.

The F10 only got an 8 speed auto.

The difference between the sport and non-sport auto is the addition of the shift paddles on the sport.

My F10 has the auto sports/paddle shift. Believe all the hype and do the research it really is a stupendous feat of engineering giving you every option in a flexible package.
    Can't rate it highly enough and I would have never before considered an auto but it works so well with the 520d. I also read that the F10 was never really intended to be a manual, evidenced by the small footwell/pedal box area.

7 speed gear box is for the M5, 8 for all other F10's
    the difference between the Sport and non is as follow:
    Shape, the Sport has more of around shape not like the M5 but different to the standard one
    depending on the year, i.e. Face lift or not and if your car has the added option of paddles you may not be able to add the Performance Pack, in my case I was able to do so for my 2011 M sport with Sport gear box as well as paddles, I know that this not possible well as off last year to add the Performance pack for 2013 cars with sport gear box and paddles.
    Gear ratio is different with the Sport verses the normal auto.