Thread: Passport office

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Passport office

Put through a passport express application about three weeks back for the two kids. One of the applications was rejected and arrived back to us last Friday - the missus had left one of our birth certs out accidentally.

Came with a freepost envelope and a letter saying to return the form and they'd process, but would not guarantee 10 working days turnaround. Phone the passport office for any further enquiries. Issue here is that we're flying next Sunday.

Phoned the passport office number and it goes to a voicemail saying they're too busy, and you should check the tracking update on the website.

Check the tracking update and it says all details are in the letter. This being the letter which says to ring the passport office.

Essentially I need to know how I go about getting the passport quickly - the passport appointment service had no suitable appointments, and the website says they only do applications by appointment - which I can't get.

Anyone know if turning up and queuing like a chump is an option?

Administrator

RE: Passport office

It was 12 years ago when I got caught in a similar situation.
    You can get it done in a day...if i remember right, you can go into the office in the morning, and grab a number and head off at your own risk....miss your number and tough sh*t, and then head back in the afternoon to collect.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Curran
    It was 12 years ago when I got caught in a similar situation.
    You can get it done in a day...if i remember right, you can go into the office in the morning, and grab a number and head off at your own risk....miss your number and tough sh*t, and then head back in the afternoon to collect.
    Yeah I did similar years ago too - that was before this appointment service malarky though.

If you call the office you can arrange to drop documents and collect it directly from an office in balbriggan where the passports are made. You will have to hang around for a bit but you will get it same day

BMWHaus Guru

Passport office

I needed a new passport 3 years ago and my problem was (and still is) that I need my passport every 2nd week at least so had to go for the express option.

I presume you tried the appointment option for travel within the next 2 weeks?
    In that case just go down to them with all the forms and copies of all the airline tickets / hotel booking for the holiday and explain the situation. The worst case scenario is that you leave with an appointment for later.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LeoD
    If you call the office you can arrange to drop documents and collect it directly from an office in balbriggan where the passports are made. You will have to hang around for a bit but you will get it same day
    You can't actually call them - you get a message saying they're too busy and it hangs up!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH
    I needed a new passport 3 years ago and my problem was (and still is) that I need my passport every 2nd week at least so had to go for the express option.

In that case just go down to them with all the forms and copies of all the airline tickets / hotel booking for the holiday and explain the situation. The worst case scenario is that you leave with an appointment for later.
    They need 3 working days after your appointment to produce it - none available in time for Friday COB.

Am going to rock up tomorrow morning - will see how I get on.

BMWHaus Guru

Passport office

Quote Originally Posted by kdevitt
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoD
    You can't actually call them - you get a message saying they're too busy and it hangs up!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH

They need 3 working days after your appointment to produce it - none available in time for Friday COB.

Am going to rock up tomorrow morning - will see how I get on.
    I know someone who was in the same boat and the passport office provided them with an appointment that didn't appear on the website

BMWHaus Guru

Quick update on this -

The passport office is indeed appointment only now, you can't just rock up to get a ticket and queue. They will send you home unless its an emergency passport required.

That said, the staff were exceptionally helpful, even helped get print outs of my flight confirmations. Was at the door for 9, and out again by 9:15 - passport to be collected on Friday!

BMWHaus Contributor

Make sure you press them. Had trouble before, but I got an emergency in 48 hours but took 2 trips to cork