Thread: e38 4pot brembo"s on e36??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

e38 4pot brembo"s on e36??

This might be a bit of a strange one but Im hoping some of the more knowledgable lads (you know who you are!:wink will weigh in here.

Firstly, has anyone done this?

I have a front set of 4pot e38 brembo's and disks. (And I can get my hands on the hubs as well if need be.) I want to fit them to e36 hubs.

Mounting the callipers isn't really an issue, as I don't mind modifying the hubs/making adaptor plates to mount them. The issue is the disks themselves. They have a lot deeper bell than e36 disks. Im presuming the stub axle's on e38's are a lot longer than e36's?? So……………..

(A) - Is there any disks off another model beemer that have the same diameter and thickness (28mm I think) as the e38, but have a shallower bell? or….....

(B) - are the wheel bearings and hub face interchangeable between the e38 and e36?

Cheers.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: e38 4pot brembo"s on e36??

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs
    This might be a bit of a strange one but Im hoping some of the more knowledgable lads (you know who you are!:wink will weigh in here.

Firstly, has anyone done this?

I have a front set of 4pot e38 brembo's and disks. (And I can get my hands on the hubs as well if need be.) I want to fit them to e36 hubs.

Mounting the callipers isn't really an issue, as I don't mind modifying the hubs/making adaptor plates to mount them. The issue is the disks themselves. They have a lot deeper bell than e36 disks. Im presuming the stub axle's on e38's are a lot longer than e36's?? So……………..

(A) - Is there any disks off another model beemer that have the same diameter and thickness (28mm I think) as the e38, but have a shallower bell? or….....

(B) - are the wheel bearings and hub face interchangeable between the e38 and e36?

Cheers.
    I was looking into doing this a while back and came to the conclusion it was easier to just get E31 brembos. Even though I had access to a free set of E38 Brembos.

Cant exactly remember ins and outs of it but I think the E31 brembos bolt on and work well with CSL disks.

Gave up in the end

BMWHaus Contributor

Unfortunately I don't tend to do things the easy way!:happy:

Thanks for that bit of info.
    Im sort of in the same boat as you were so, did a bit of bartering for the callipers and disks so they're not really costing me much. just trying to make the most of what I have!

What will work on e36 is porsche 966 non turbo with adaptors from http://www.rallyroad.net
    The callipers are hard to find and not cheap but think i seen a black set on adverts, got mine from there but in red, most VAG guys use them as an upgrade too.
    I know on the e46 there are 2 ways to go I'm going with full m3 front and CSL discs and 18 inch wheels and the back can be done too, not sure about the rears on the e36.

BMWHaus Contributor

I think e46 m3 discs will work, I should have 1 here if you want to mock it up.

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG
    I think e46 m3 discs will work, I should have 1 here if you want to mock it up.
    That would be great Dave. Thanks. Been meaning to call out to you the last while, Ill give you a ring tomorrow.