Thread: Tyre Size Advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

Tyre Size Advice

I recently had a set of wheels repainted and I'm going to be putting them on soon. They're AC type 1 reps, 17" and 8J all round. I talked to few of you at the weekly Dublin meet a few weeks back and I'm considering getting FALKEN ZE914's from oponeo.ie as a result.
    They are €82 a tyre on oponeo. I was thinking 205/40/17.
    I'm looking for a little bit of stretch and a lower profile, than what I'm currently running on the Motorsports, yet not super thin and stretched either.
    I've copied a photos below of the type of wheels and underneath that a photo I found on the internet while I was researching this. This guy runs this set up with pretty much the same wheels and the look I'm going for in tyre profile.
    Can anyone see any major problems with running this tyre setup?
    Thanks in advance and all feedback more than welcome,

Chris

http://www.bmwforums.info/bmw-wheels-forum/820-wheel-whoring.html

RE: Tyre Size Advice

What offset are your wheels?
    205/40 is very skinny.

(PS, I moved your thread to the wheels and tyres section as it was in the classifieds)

BMWHaus Guru

This is Austin's e36 vert, the front wheels are 8J with 205/40/17 but they're et20 so yours will stick out 10mm more. It's great for to look at but it is indeed very low profile.

Edit: assuming your wheels are et10 as per the attachment
    Attached Images Attached Images

BMWHaus Contributor

Thanks Ross and Peter,
    Mine are actually et 40 all round. Here they are btw:

I hear what your saying, I want something skinnier than the standard setup I'm running on my motorsports but I don't want them to be supper skinny and real harsh either. Something with a little more than in Peters attached picture and a bit more meaty like in what I posted above or below, would be what I'm looking for.

Would 215/40/17 make any difference as it might less of a stretch?
    I appreciate the help in getting an idea of what the wheels and tyres will look like on the car too.

Chris

Personally I'd go maybe 215/40 on front and 235or245/40 on rear.

Going with an 8J ET40 and skinny tyre on the back will need to be spaced out to sit near the arch.
    I have an 8J ET35 (+15mm spacer) so ET20 with a 215/45 and it still clears standard arch.

BMWHaus Contributor

Cool, thanks. I might go with 215/40/17, at €88 a tyre, all round and space the rears out down to approx et20. Wanna keep the stance at the rear the same as what I have with the staggered motorsports.
    Is the price on those good or average or what?
    Once again thanks lads,

Chris

BMWHaus Guru

215/40 should do the trick you may need spacers on the front too though as well. 8j et 40 you'd get away with 235/40 no problem!

I'm on my phone now so not handy to link a photo but if you check my thread the style 5s I had were 7.5j et44 and were fitted with 225/45 all round if you want to have a look for reference

BMWHaus Contributor

Sweet. Thanks Peter, I'll check it out. 215/40 and spacing the lot out seems like the way to go for the look I'm going for while still retaining some comfort and functionality.
    Thanks for all the help lads, now over to oponeo to spend some money

Chris