Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 24 Hour NCT testing

BMWHaus Guru

Re: 24 Hour NCT testing

It's an opel....... They never break down!!

Sent from my WT19i using Tapatalk 2

Administrator

RE: 24 Hour NCT testing

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy
    It's an opel....... They never break down!!

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cisk
    They should change the requirement for 10+ year old cars to have a yearly NCT to at least 15 years +. 10 years on a car these days is nothing, Realistically is a yearly test necessary? Do they think cars go to junk on their 10th birthday?
    Hi, I think it is a good idea to have a yearly test. If the systems gets sorted to run properly then it means that cars will at least get 1 check over per year. I think it should be brought in at a younger age. Of course the current set up can't deal with the volume as it is right now, obviously this should be priority number one & then move on to improvements.

It's frightening when you talk to some people about their cars & the disregard they have for them. I'm talking about safety items in particular but there is a high level of recklessness & apathy in a high proportion of people in relation to motor maintenance. Some even wear it as a badge of pride that they "didn't spend a penny" on the car!
    Very true, if only they were competent to improve the system to cope with it all.

BMWHaus Contributor

The upfront cost of opening a new test Centre is damn all to the operator, they don't build or own any of the buildings they use and I'd be fairly certain they don't own the testing equipment either. Really all your looking at is a few extra testers and the operating costs. Applus were already in contract when the NCT regs changed regarding the 10 year rule so at that stage the contract should have been revised to make sure extra facilities were put in place. The idea of 24hr testing is nothing more than a smoke screen, now they can accommodate more cars within the 4 week window but really, who's going to accept a 4am NCT when offered?

Quote Originally Posted by michael320
    The upfront cost of opening a new test Centre is damn all to the operator, they don't build or own any of the buildings they use and I'd be fairly certain they don't own the testing equipment either. Really all your looking at is a few extra testers and the operating costs. Applus were already in contract when the NCT regs changed regarding the 10 year rule so at that stage the contract should have been revised to make sure extra facilities were put in place. The idea of 24hr testing is nothing more than a smoke screen, now they can accommodate more cars within the 4 week window but really, who's going to accept a 4am NCT when offered?
    It would cost them to look at and evaluate the project and re-negotiate the contract for how many centers they are supposed to staff etc. Its all cost with no benefit, unless they re-negotiate how much they get paid from it but its extremely unlikely you could do that. If it was my company I wouldn't even entertain the idea of opening a new center either.

I think they are trying to minimize cost again, your entitled to a free test if you can't get one within 4 weeks. BUT if they offer you one and you refuse it your not entitled to a free test. They are covering themselves.