Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Kumho KU39?

BMWHaus Guru

Lightbulb Thoughts on Kumho KU39?

Was having a look on oponeo.ie since I will need a set of rears in the not so distant future and 265/35/19 Kumho KU39s are 131euro each which seems ridiculously cheap! They seem to have decent reviews too, what are people's thoughts on em?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Thoughts on Kumho KU39?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36
    Was having a look on oponeo.ie since I will need a set of rears in the not so distant future and 265/35/19 Kumho KU39s are 131euro each which seems ridiculously cheap! They seem to have decent reviews too, what are people's thoughts on em?
    I have Kumho's on the M5 and they stink. Michelin Supersports are meant to be the mutts nuts. I'm also a huge fan of PS3's

Re: RE: Thoughts on Kumho KU39?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    I have Kumho's on the M5 and they stink. Michelin Supersports are meant to be the mutts nuts. I'm also a huge fan of PS3's
    Strange have seen hundreds of great reviews on bmw5 about them

How old are yours and whats the tread depth

They are mid range though so shouldn't be compared to tyres two or three times the price

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Strange have seen hundreds of great reviews on bmw5 about them

How old are yours and whats the tread depth
    I would say they're an easy 2 to 3 years old, 5 mm maybe. Haven't really checked. They're fine in the dry but not remotely in the same league as Michelin in the wet.

I guess it depends on your benchmark. I don't think I would deviate from the PS3's. There's even a noticeable difference between eagle F1's and PS3's. Not performance but the F1's are not as compliant in terms of comfort.

BMWHaus Guru

They're 131 euro each....! Even nankangs are 186 a pop

That's definitely not the regular price for the Kumhos though I'm sure? Or is it?

BMWHaus Contributor

Had them on the Gti and brand new on the 335i last month and found them brilliant in wet and dry.
    The 335 has all of power through the rear and they held up really good. The Gti had about 265 through the fronts and again found them really good.

BMWHaus Contributor

I've had kuhmo ecsta's before and found them to be quite good. My attitude with rear tyres is anything half decent will be fine and the traction control can do the rest of the work. Front tyres I always spend a bit extra though.

I'd love to try out some of the higher end tyres though, but I can't imagine they are worth the money. I just cant justify the price to buy them when I know they will wear fast and still won't offer r888 or ad040 amounts of grip. But on an m car there's not much point in having middle of the road tyres so I can see the argument for ps3's etc.

For 260 they would defo be worth taking a chance on!

Another vote here for the KU39's - had the Ecsta Sport on the E36, granted it was half the power of the E92, they were a superb all rounder for me, even in wet conditions. At that price they gotta be on special!

BMWHaus Guru

Had Kuhmo's previously on my 335i Peter, and wasn't impressed. Very tough to get to power down I found, for example pulling out of junctions in traffic etc.

BMWHaus Guru

Have had Kumho KU31s before on 19s and they were very good. Quiet and comfortable too