Thread: Who's running 19" runflats?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Who's running 19" runflats?

A friend is about to pull the trigger on a 4 series and isn't sure whether or not the 19" runflats will be tolerable.

Anyone got any feedback?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Who's running 19" runflats?

I had the on the e63 630i, they were noisy & a bit harder than the regular tyres that I swpaes them out for. They were Bridgestone runflats & the current tyres on it are Pirellis. The Runflats were also quite old when they came off the car, the newer generation runflat tyres are meant to be a whole lot better.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter
    I had the on the e63 630i, they were noisy & a bit harder than the regular tyres that I swpaes them out for. They were Bridgestone runflats & the current tyres on it are Pirellis. The Runflats were also quite old when they came off the car, the newer generation runflat tyres are meant to be a whole lot better.
    That's excellent, thanks Mark.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

had run flats on E92 ,new and very fresh Bridgestones , and didn't bother to get non run flats , with very low profile tire probably better to have run flats imo

BMWHaus Guru

I should also mention that I had a cracked rear wheel during my time with runflats. I blame the runflats!
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Guru

OK, so just to be a bit more specific. The car in question would also have M Sport suspension.

So what would people go for, 18's or 19's. Would there be a big difference in comfort between the two?

The car is mostly going to be used by his wife.

BMWHaus Contributor

19" RFT on the F10 Msport in our house.
    No problems with comfort etc

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    A friend is about to pull the trigger on a 4 series and isn't sure whether or not the 19" runflats will be tolerable.

Anyone got any feedback?
    No chance of a test drive with them? Even another car with same profile wheel and tyre...
    Quote Originally Posted by kceire
    19" RFT on the F10 Msport in our house.
    No problems with comfort etc
    +1... Dealer fitted 4 new runflats to my F10 and I have to say after a few weeks of driving I would not be in a hurry to change them.

Now on the E92 had 19's also but I changed to non-RFT's but that was due to the lower profile tyre and cracking rims.

BMWHaus Guru

I had 18" RFTs on my E92 with Sport suspension Dave, and the ride is better now in my E46. They were rubbish, slippy in the cold and wet when I didn't particularly want them to be (entering roundabouts, went onto a motorway sideways a couple of times). The real kicker though was that they couldn't cope with Irish roads, with large lumps developing in the sidewalls a number of times due to potholes

That was 4 or 5 years ago so RFT tech maybe has moved on, but if I'd kept the car longer as a daily I would have switched to non-RFTs

I know that doesn't really answer your question, but judging from the 18"s I never felt any great desire to have a car with 19" RFTs

BMWHaus Guru

Who's running 19" runflats?

Thanks a mill gents.