I get a lot of emails and PM's from people wanting to buy a M5. Seeing as this €130k plus car can be got for around 20k now that's not surprising.

I immediately point all people to this excellent thread:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1076816&d=0&nmt=
There is not one single point I disagree with on there. The E60 M5 was introduced in 2005, with a V10 engine intended to link the car with the BMW Sauber Formula One team. The E60 M5 was the world's first production sedan to feature a V10 petrol engine. As with some of its predecessors, the E60 variant of the M5 was both the quickest and fastest 4-door sedan in the world at the time of its release.

Other unique M5 features include a wider track, unique body panels, 7-speed SMG III sequential manual gearbox, also known as a single-clutch automated manual transmission, a color heads up display [HUD] featuring navigation, control messages, speed, rpm and gear selection information, automated seat side bolsters, heated/ventilated seats and power rear curtain. The larger, flared front guards on either side also featured cooling vents, reminiscent of the 1970s BMW CSL. The wheels were of a standard 19" diameter with quad exhaust pipes to the rear. M6 style alloys were a factory option.

Tiff's Review is great, Clarksons is a bit stupid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zYWOqm_Zkc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRwR1WH0rR8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnZVkdzXzFQ

The engine is a 5ltr NA V10 with 507 BHP, 205Mph delimited, 520Ncm of torque, 0-60 on 4.5 seconds nuff said. I have had my one round mondello and can tell you its not agile, but for a big saloon it hold its own. This is a car that must be driven to get the performance out of it. Coming from a auto 6 series I found I count just point and press the accelerator. You have to firstly have the car in the correct mode. On startup it defaults to a slug mode, where the shifts are slow, the performance is set to 400bhp and the traction control is fully on. There is a moving redline as the engine warms up, once the oil and transmission are up to temp (about 2-3 minutes) put it in m mode. M mode it not some magic setting like Clarkson's review would have you believe, its a short-cut for a number of settings controlling the power, throttle response, steering weight electronic dampers, and traction control. The gear shift speed has 6 settings with the 6th and fastest speed only selectable with the DCT fully off.

In maximum attack mode with the DCT off the gear shifts are 50ms with a big thump in the back as you upshift. Only a mongo like Clarkson is going to have problems with the SMG being jerky, its not an auto and you cannot drive it as such.

I have had a number of friends in the car who are viably disappointed with the drive cause they start in warmup mode and its very sluggish. Even in //M mode you have to be in the correct gear and let the engine rev. Coming from a deisel car if you try to drive around shifting a 3k your not going to enjoy it, you have to let is rev out, its really only above 4k that the power comes in. And by god which you on it its terrifying, the acceleration is so fast and without left up. Its geared to do 200+ mph so it really takes off above the legal speed limit I am told.

Dynamics are great, the steering has a heavy feel with being too heavy, very planted feel. Cornering is great and accurate, with a LSD its easy to control when the back steps out. Drifting is very easy to provoke but easy to correct. However if you get the weight of the car coming round you will spin. On a wet track its a handful. There is a launch control on this car.

As practical as any e60 5 series. Good looking chunky looks. Know a fake cause real M5's have no fog lights and a noticeably wider track.

Running costs. This is the question I get the most, I keep mine in the dealer network as I view a warranty as essential. Tyers are 1000-1500euro, oil service 350 euro, Brakes are seriously pricey. Fuel consumption is something a lot get their knickers in a twist about. BMW are dead accurate with this. Motorway about 24 MPG on cruse control, round town about 12mpg. On a track you will empty a tank in half a day. However they are so cheap to buy, that you can fill the tank as much as you want for less than the depreciation on a f10 520d.

There are a number of known issues.
  • Red cog of Death, transmission faults, SMG pump failures.
  • Clutch wear and tear. (not a fault but pricey to replace)
  • Throttle actuator tend to go, this is lead in by a whine when accelerating from one side to the engine bay.
  • Noisy Diff.
  • Vanos faults

Pros:
  • Very Fast
  • Very Comfortable
  • Good handling
  • Highly configurable for Nerds like me.
  • Strong looks.
  • Landmark engine.
  • Both a comfy cruiser muscle car and a high reeving ///M car.
  • Practical.
  • Cheap to buy.
  • So powerful
  • Sleeper.

Cons:
  • Old model now.
  • You will be asked a lot if its real.
  • High Running costs.
  • Expensive repairs.
  • Heavy for the track.
  • Need aggressive driving to get performance.

My Advice to Prospective Buyers
  • Warranty for the love of god, either BMW or after-market.
  • These were Celtic tiger cars often not maintained well. There are some sheds out there. Always have it professionally inspected and a computer hooked up to check for errors.
  • Beware clunky shifts, that's not normal.
  • Avoid comfort access and adaptive seat if possible, not worth the hassle.
  • Get logic 7 if possible the standard HiFi sucks.
  • Wait for a good one, these cars change hands a lot especially the trouble one.
  • Beware a car that been warmed up before the test drive.

Will update and things come to mind, ask any questions. The above is only my experience.