Thread: 5 series front wheel bearing e61

5 series front wheel bearing e61

tell me I am dreaming hopefully --but I have looked at doing the front wheel bearing on 2008 5 series and it appears the suspension strut must be removed with brakes ect ect ect in order to get at 4 hidden bolts mounted by a moron in the middle of the suspension --not in front of the suspension where the wheel bearing is --putting the bolts on the wheel side would make this a hours job instead of a good day bmw style .
    if you bolt on the wheel and bolt on the disc why in the name of sweet jesus could they not bolt on the wheel bearing from the same side
    am I correct is this the daftest part of the car after the timing chain it is in the running for an award if so . bugs

BMWHaus Guru

RE: 5 series front wheel bearing e61

This was the same for the e39, I changed both sides, what a PITA of a job it was! You could get to 3 of the bolts but one definitely needed the shock absorber to be moved out of the way. Also if memory serves me correctly a second bolt was also partially obscured, enough to tempt you to try removing it without moving the shock but there was a risk of rounding the top of the bolt.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S