Thread: replacing the 2.2

replacing the 2.2

So the old girl is clocking up the miles... 188 thousand I think. It takes. A liter of oil evey 500 miles, it runs ok but I don't think she is gonna last forever, so.... I was thinking about taking out the 2.2 and maybe throwing in a 2.5 or a 2.8 even. Question is will this drop straight in and what need to be changed aswell...
    Like ecu? Or if the new engine had a auto box, would my manual box go straight on? Just planning for the future.
    Ps it's a 02 e39

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: replacing the 2.2

be easier and cheaper to buy a different car,when ya add the costs of buying all the bits and getting them fitted it all adds up and you have no idea how good or bad the engine/bits you buy are..

Ture. But the body is good on mine.. Whole new cooling system. Everything around engine is new. Camshaft sensors, boots abs Module. More time and energy stripping and braking . . . I changed all the interior. All new brakes so thought it might be easier just to fix up a donor engine as in gaskets vanos and drop it in. I know the rest of my car is tip top. And new car, I'm back to uncertainty

I'm in the same position as you are although my 2.2 has given up almost completely. As long as you stay with an m54 type engine (2.2 2.5 3.0) the swap is fairly straight forward. The problem is trying to find a good engine!