Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yellow DSC light and yellow Brake fluid level light

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yellow DSC light and yellow Brake fluid level light

2005 E46 318CI

So I only noticed this today, the yellow DSC light and the yellow brake fluid warning lights came on together (along with a short warning beep) and stayed on.

I drove to the local tesco carpark where I could pull in and check the brake fluid level, the level was fine, almost at maximum.

I turned off the the ignition, took the key out and waited about 30secs then started the car and the lights were off.

I then had to drive to Dublin from wexford, about halfway the lights came on again.

pressing the DSC button on did nothing.

Later today i was in the car for a while , waiting on someone (about 30 mins) I did the ignition thing again and the lights went out but after about 20 mins they came back on again.

I really hope this is just a faulty sensor or something ?

I read one thread where an american guy said he had the exact same problem and his garage wanted to charge him around $1,500 for a new DSC unit, but it turn out to be something else ( I can't for the life of me find that thread now as I was looking at it on the phone earlier)

BMWHaus Guru

Yellow DSC light and yellow Brake fluid level light

You need to get the car scanned.

RE: Yellow DSC light and yellow Brake fluid level light

thanks, i'f i can't find anyone with the gear to do it for me , do you have any idea how much a garage would charge to do this ?

BMWHaus Guru

Have had this happen twice on my E46 over the years.

It could be brake pressure sensors, steering angle sensor, wheel speed sensors etc etc.

can be cheap enough, to several hundred euro

ok thanks,

and when the yellow DSC light comes onis the DSC really off ? or is it just a fault ? should i drive with caution ?

BMWHaus Contributor

If the light is on the DSC is not working. I wouldn't panic too much, you'd want to really be hammering it around before it would be a dangerous. If the light is on one minute and off another its most likely a wheel speed sensor or something get it plugged in and you'll know.

Bump.

Ok I just scanned the car with my c310 bmw scanner

Here are the fault codes on the brakes

5E21 - pressure sensor 2
    5E24 - pressure sensors
    5E5D - level sensor, brake fluid
    5E20 - pressure sensor 1

Is this saying I have three sensors to replace? Big job?

BMWHaus Guru

There are 2 pressure sensors as far as i know...i think maybe about €150 a piece plus fitting. Someone else might confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by Don B
    There are 2 pressure sensors as far as i know...i think maybe about €150 a piece plus fitting. Someone else might confirm.
    really? f**k my life

anyone got a link where i can buy them online? mister-auto doesn't have them

see the results here:

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.T RC0.H0.Xbmw+e46+dsc+sensor.TRS0&_nkw=bmw+e46+dsc+s ensor&ghostText=&_sacat=0

any guidance as to which one i need?