Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yellow DSC light and yellow Brake fluid level light

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Yellow DSC light and yellow Brake fluid level light

Go on to bmwfans.info and look up your car (or type in last 7 digits of the vin) and look up the part numbers for the pressure sensors.

ok cheers, you really are being quite helpful to this n00b.

according to that site, the part no. i need is: 34521164458

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E46-Coupe/Europe/318Ci-N46/R-N/jan2005/browse/brakes/brake_master_cylinder_dsc/#1164458_2

is that right ? and I need two of the basterds?

BMWHaus Contributor

Its No.2 in that diagram, just check the underside of the master cylinder, if your car is a late model it will have two of those sensors. Both are the same part number.

Its not a huge job just a bit fiddly.

Ok here's a weird thing.

yesterday before setting out on a longish journey I checked all my tyre pressures as I had a slow puncture in the rear driver's side.

I left the engine running whilst inflating each tyre to the correct 34psi

when I started the task, the yellow DSC and brake fluid level lights were on.

when I had finished all tyres, I got back in the driver's seat only to notice that the light had gone out.

I drove for 100KM (maybe a little less) and the lights came back on. They stayed on.

Later that day I went to my local tyre place as one of my tyres needed replacing for the NCT, while I was there I got him to fix the slow puncture in the other one.

The lights were still on at this stage.

after fixing both tyres, i drove to the nearest petrol station to chck pressures.

they were bit off after yer man was at them , so in put back in the correct 34psi

when i got back in the driver's seat again, i had noticed the lights were out.

coincidence ? ?????????

they've stayed out so far but I have only done about half the distance I did yesterday when they came on

BMWHaus Guru

Yellow DSC light and yellow Brake fluid level light

Odd, does anyone know if the E46 has tyre pressure monitoring available as an option? Could this be it?

Quote Originally Posted by John_D
    Odd, does anyone know if the E46 has tyre pressure monitoring available as an option? Could this be it?
    yes my one has a TPM button and the TPM light goes off when the tyre pressure gets low.

I don't have the solid valves on my tyres I have the regular ones so someone told me that my car measures differences in wheel speed or something and that's how it knows when a tyre goes below the recommended PSI.

This was a pain when I first got the car as I didn't know that one tyre had a slow puncture and the TPM light came on and i didn't know how to reset it.

Yellow DSC light and yellow Brake fluid level light

Had this kind of problem 3 years ago. DSC lights lighting up like Christmas tree every 30 mins.Had it scanned and it was the dsc pressure sensor. It was replaced and codes were cleared. Bought 2 sensors and was told that only one was needed.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwayne
    Had this kind of problem 3 years ago. DSC lights lighting up like Christmas tree every 30 mins.Had it scanned and it was the dsc pressure sensor. It was replaced and codes were cleared. Bought 2 sensors and was told that only one was needed.
    mine's a bit more random then every 30 mins, and the brake fluid light always comes on with it.

prices for those pressure sensors are crazy in Ireland, up to around €150 each!

can get them from china for around $45USD, so i might as well try that first

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by discopig
    Quote Originally Posted by johnwayne
    mine's a bit more random then every 30 mins, and the brake fluid light always comes on with it.

prices for those pressure sensors are crazy in Ireland, up to around €150 each!

can get them from china for around $45USD, so i might as well try that first
    You might as well buy 4 of them Chinese ones, you'll be replacing them that many times compared to a genuine one!
    On a more serious note you should get a proper diagnostic test done on the car before you buy anything.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

Quote Originally Posted by rebel.ranter
    You might as well buy 4 of them Chinese ones, you'll be replacing them that many times compared to a genuine one!
    On a more serious note you should get a proper diagnostic test done on the car before you buy anything.
    cheers, yeah I feel that may be the case,

I've already read the codes with my scanner, (i have another thread with them here somewhere, can't search right now)

but yeah, it says brake pressure sensors