Thread: F10 520d brake and suspension fresh up

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Site Sponsor

F10 520d brake and suspension fresh up

Last week we got this beemer for rear brake change but ended up with all around brake change , discs ,pads and sensors .
    Front dust covers there damaged as well, one of them was fully broken off and was making strange noises .These are made from so tick aluminium so after they get corrosion they broke apart ,even E39 ones last much longer :hehe!:.
    Another complain from owner was some steel knocking noise from front of the car , this ended up in badly worn front lower control arm ball joints , these are very common to fail , have done few of them already .these are quite expensive as complete arm should be replaced ,so both arms done as well .
    So car left our place with all new discs, all new pads , both front and rear brake wear sensors , new front dust covers and new front lower arms .owner is very happy with its changes and all rattles and knockings there quickly sorted
    Pictures to follow

some of old parts
    IMG_0646.JPG IMG_0645.JPG
    IMG_0644.JPG IMG_0643.JPG

new parts and fitted
    IMG_0641.JPG IMG_0640.JPG
    IMG_0649.JPG IMG_0651.JPG

new brakes
    IMG_0652.JPG [attachment=5684]
    IMG_0653.JPG

BMWHaus Guru

F10 520d brake and suspension fresh up

What age & mileage is the car? I'm wondering how do the f10s age compared to e39s or e60s now that there are some 5 years old.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

RE: F10 520d brake and suspension fresh up

It was 2010 car with 80k miles I think , so its time for new brakes .Dust cover made so tick to make it very light so its life time is cut by half compare to E39 ones ,but front ball joints do wear quicker ,we will see later on how they will last .
    But I do like them anyway :wink:

BMWHaus Guru

RE: F10 520d brake and suspension fresh up

People were complaining about the "E39 Judder" very early in its life time so I dont think the E39 or E34 was any better than any of the newer cars. Its all about miles.

I had my E39 when it was 6 years old and it needed front control arms etc. It had 110k miles.

One thing for sure is that the F10 won't rot around you.

Re: RE: F10 520d brake and suspension fresh up

Quote Originally Posted by DoktorB
    People were complaining about the "E39 Judder" very early in its life time so I dont think the E39 or E34 was any better than any of the newer cars. Its all about miles.

I had my E39 when it was 6 years old and it needed front control arms etc. It had 110k miles.

One thing for sure is that the F10 won't rot around you.
    At plus 100k miles its pretty standard for arms to be gone regardless of age