Thread: Vw dsg opinions

BMWHaus Contributor

Vw dsg opinions

Thinking of a change , what do people think of 2.0 tdi 170 bhp passat with dsg ? Are they any good ? Any con's or pro's ?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Vw dsg opinions

From a performance point of view the DSG is fantastic! Don't know how reliable it is long term though, and my only experience with it was in the MK V GTi so don't know what the 2.0 tdi 170bhp engine is like either unfortunately.

BMWHaus Guru

Vw dsg opinions

It's gonna be boring, very reliable though, DSG needs to be serviced but no real negatives otherwise.

BMWHaus Contributor

I was on the web last few hours , not too many good things to be said , one i'm looking at is 07 , don't know if injectors were changed , oil pump is prone to fail aswell as turbo , not too sure now after all the readings and ppl's opinions online , they seem to give a lot of trouble , dsg seems to be the best thing about them , can't wait to take it for a spin

BMWHaus Guru

Vw dsg opinions

The balance shaft failure only effected cars manufactured in 05 and they were mostly B7 A4's.

The Passat is a different engine being transversely mounted. Also the injectors are covered by a recall, only the PD injectors are effected and the common rail injectors don't suffer from it at all.

BMWHaus Contributor

I had it in a GTD not a clue do I have about engine/gearbox reliability but it was great craic in the wee golf

BMWHaus Contributor

Had a drive test just now with it , apart from the dsg wich i'm liking , not very impressed with the car , i'l have a think about it , don't mind keepin the e60 for another while

I also had DSG in a mkV GTI. I found it superb and candidly I felt it really made the car! Totally reliable and offered most of the fun of a manual with most of the ease of an auto. Lazy shopping trolley to hot hatch instantly. Way better than the crap slush box I have now which only changes up when it's good and ready and changes down way too easily. As with all things, as long as they have the oil changed as per recommendations all should be AOK. Highly recommend.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

I cant imagine how it would be, to sit in to passat from E60 :surprised:

BMWHaus Guru

Vw dsg opinions

Passat B6/3C is a grand car but is not in the same league as a 5 series IMO.