Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Z1

BMWHaus Guru

Thoughts on the Z1

I have never really given the Z1 a second glance, and it has always seemed to lurk in the shadow of other classic BMW's of it's generation.

Recently though, they have really started to grow on me. I can imagine driving one with the top and doors down on twisty roads listening to that lovely 2.5 M20.

What do people think.

1. Overpriced ugly concept car.

or

2. A desirable cool roadster.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Thoughts on the Z1

They are super cool. imo

And they look great.

Use of structural composites in a mass produced car. Removable plastic body panels.

They were way ahead of thier time.

I've never driven one bit I'm sure anything light weight, rear drive and 170hp will be great to drive.

BMWHaus Guru

Thoughts on the Z1

They're fantastic. You need to add one to the collection Nick.

Administrator

I can see the appeal of how well it might drive, but for me I cant get over how it looks. The mirrors just look to be in a stupid place and while the door operation is pretty cool, Im sure most of them have destroyed paintwork from people kicking the paint getting in and out!

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH
    I can't justify another car John as much as I would love one.

I will hopefully be taking one for a spin on Thursday so I will report back on my findings. I have high expectations. :smiling:

Number 1 for me have never liked them they are butt ugly

(Ciars could you add a poll ?)

BMWHaus Guru

Thoughts on the Z1

I know two people with a Z1 and have driven one. It's not that far removed a driving experience from your E30 325i convertible to be honest for the majority of the time. They are not much or feel any quicker. However it's the drama and cool factor from the doors, exterior to the funky interior that makes it stand out. Would I have one? Yes absolutely if I could afford one. Values seem to have started climbing recently having sat quite stable for years.

If only I had bought the Irish car that sat in Rathmines for years. And the removable body panels idea, that they can be swapped quickly is bull. One owner I know has tried it. I have a brochure for one too

BMWHaus Guru

Thoughts on the Z1

Quote Originally Posted by Bayerische
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH
    I can't justify another car John as much as I would love one.

I will hopefully be taking one for a spin on Thursday so I will report back on my findings. I have high expectations. :smiling:
    Depending on how the drive goes the man maths might commence!

BMWHaus Guru

I'd love one. Had a major longing for a RHD converted one in Sydney, but no room for a baby seat! Think it's the guts of a days work to change the panels - can't imagine spare panels are that plentiful these days though, nor affordable.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    I know two people with a Z1 and have driven one. It's not that far removed a driving experience from your E30 325i convertible to be honest for the majority of the time. They are not much or feel any quicker. However it's the drama and cool factor from the doors, exterior to the funky interior that makes it stand out. Would I have one? Yes absolutely if I could afford one. Values seem to have started climbing recently having sat quite stable for years.

If only I had bought the Irish car that sat in Rathmines for years. And the removable body panels idea, that they can be swapped quickly is bull. One owner I know has tried it. I have a brochure for one too
    I am surprised to hear that it drives like an E30 325i convertible. I thought the handling would be far superior. The biggest complaint about them (apart from the doors giving trouble) is that the 2.5L engine is too small and that the car is too slow as a result.

That's a pity you didn't grab the Rathmines car, especially as it was the only Irish one. Did it take much work to get it back up and running again. What condition was it in? At least there is no rust issues with the panels.