Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thoughts on the Z1

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Thoughts on the Z1

I drove a Z1 for the first time yesterday.

The car does look cool on the flesh, it looks and feels very wide, not sure if the car is wider than normal or if it's just me.

After driving the car I felt a little underwhelmed. It didn't feel as good to drive as it looked. The 2.5 M20 definitely feels underpowered. The steering felt wooly, it has a steering rack but it felt like a steering box. Apparently this is normal for the Z1 and not a worn steering rack.

I was very disappointed with the interior. It looks great but it wears very badly. The car I drove was a low mileage example, less than 50,000 Kim's but the soft leather with the camouflage print looked very tired indeed. The doors looked tired also from people kicking them while trying to get into the car. The owner told me that the car cannot be left outside as it leaks.

I drove the car with the top down, I wanted to drive it with the doors down also but the owner told me that it wasn't a good idea as it scratches the doors.

The Z1 is a cool car, but for a lot less money I think I would prefer a similar condition and mileage E30 325i convertible.

BMWHaus Guru

Thoughts on the Z1

That's a shame to hear. At least you got to experience it and it won't be annoying you should you be trying to source the right car. You will just have to suffer your E30 for the moment. And there is that other option I sent you