Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: E39 525i Starting Problem

BMWHaus Contributor

E39 525i Starting Problem

Alright lads, the car is in for bodywork at the moment but they've come across a problem, she won't start. Everything else is getting power, all the dash lights up, radio works, lights etc but an auto electrician said that there's no power even getting to the starter.

This happened once the day after I bought it but started perfect the next day and never gave any bother until yesterday is the shop, I thought it was the battery but now I'm stuck.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd like the be out of this Yaris ASAP :tounge:
    E39 525iA Sport - Sapphire Black - SOLD
    E39 528iT SE - Orient Blue - SOLD
    E39 540i/A Sport - Topaz Blue

BMWHaus Guru

Try the spare key first but after that it could be an EWS fault esp if the starter is not getting a 12v signal

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: E39 525i Starting Problem

Quote Originally Posted by HealyC
    Try the spare key first but after that it could be an EWS fault esp if the starter is not getting a 12v signal
    Tried the spare, no luck. It's not even clicking over, I take it something like this would store a fault?

Whats the voltage on the battery

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhole Norman
    Quote Originally Posted by HealyC
    Tried the spare, no luck. It's not even clicking over, I take it something like this would store a fault?
    Hopefully so, various things give trouble in relation to non starts but if the starter isn't getting 12v then I'd say it's either fuse blown, ignition barrel, key (tried that) or faulty ews. Next up after checking fuses id try crossing the starter motor but should only do this if your confident in what your doing. If it starts then you know the immobiliser is ok and it's a 12v supply issue, usually the ignition barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Whats the voltage on the battery
    He said there was an auto elec looking at it so hopefully they checked this but you'd be amazed

Re: E39 525i Starting Problem

Ah ok sorry missed that , but im sure your well aware the e39's behave really odd when the batterys low different to other cars but id "hope" an auto electrician would check that first

BMWHaus Contributor

There was no mention of the battery but I'll say it to them on Monday to give it a check. Fecking stuck in the Yaris another bit :sad:

BMWHaus Contributor

Many thanks to Mark for coming out and diagnosing the car, getting an ECU Rejected fault relating to the EWS. The weird thing is that we can talk to the ECU and EWS so we're hoping it's still some loose cabling or faulty fuse, going to be a while checking I think.

We also ruled out the Autobox's lock so it's not the switch in that.

Battery was down to around 5.8V when it should be at 12.7/8V for starting.......

BMWHaus Guru

The EWS and DME have gone out of sync, when you go to read the ISN from the EWS it says "ERROR_ECU_REJECTED" for both ISN & Password.

Conflicting reports online stating what can be done about this. Some say just try re-align the EWS/DME, or try to write the ISN again. Other reports say that it needs some special software to reset the module.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

How did you run the diagnostic with the battery so low ?

Did you try swapping a good battery in and trying again

Id say that battery will be dead now no point charging it