Battle of the greats pt. 1

Going to throw one of these up a week comparing two greats each week

Will start off with two of my absolute favourites

Both destined for stardom from day one

So which is it the e39 M5 or the e46 M3

If using tapatalk you need to switch to web view to vote in the poll

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Battle of the greats pt. 1

Oh....That's a tough one, both excellent cars.

I guess it really depends on your family status, do you need the space of the bigger M5.

All being equal, I would go for the E46 M3. Less weight to haul around and that lovely straight six to listen to.

BMWHaus Guru

I really like the E46 M3 but I absolutely adore the E39 M5, it's such an awesome car, I love the understated looks, that despite it's mass it's very light on its feet, it's a 400hp 5.0 v8 schizophrenic accountant / axe-murderer, that sounds like an american muscle-car wishes it sounded and will do nearly 30mpg on a run.

BMWHaus Guru

Ah god thats a tough one. I mean I`ve always wanted an E46 M3 but i think the E39 M5 is aging better plus its nowhere near as abundant as the M3 and has that "ooohh look an M5!" factor. think I'm gonna have to say M5 here....

BMWHaus Guru

Probably get shot for this but for me, it's very hit and miss with the styling of the 5, some look amazing but some look very ordinary, obviously that engine sounds great pulls like a train etc so in that regard it's the engine that wins out in the M5.

The e46 M3 I think looks better, CSL version sounds amazing and again I'll be shot, but at 1809 tax for both I'd have to have a V8 to justify it. Such a tough decision..... engine over looks / looks over engine.....

I have driven neither Ms, but I have driven a 5 series and always have owned 3 series coupes I probably shouldn't vote..... but aaaahhhhh........

It's got to be the V8.

Also if I was in the position, I could add an M5 to my classic policy straight away for just €50, whereas I'd have to wait another year at least to add the M3 to it!!

Administrator

The E39 M5 is my first choice M if Im ever fortunate to own an M!! It has been even since before I had the need for more space...I prefer bigger cars!
    Lately the E46 M3 has grown on me a lot more; especially when you see a very well cared for example, such as Shane's.

One of each would be a grand driveway! :P

BMWHaus Guru

Battle of the greats pt. 1

Tough one, very tough and I've driven various variants of both models.

I think I'd have an E46 M3 for weekend blasts through the twisties and then the M5 for the day to day motorway munching.

Then again they could both be easily swapped around. Very tough Gar.

But would have to be M3

No M5

No M3

BMWHaus Contributor

I have never had the privilege to own neither an M3 nor an M5.
    Both are fantastic cars and like some of the lads mentioned it really comes down to your personal family situation and taste. Going to Athlone on my IS while following Philip's M5 and his friend happy in an E46 M3 they both had an acceleration after the toll in Fermoy. The sound of that M5 is one of the best I must have heard so far; as Paddy mentioned the similar tax, its practicability with 4 doors and that sound which gives you a smile every time you turn the engine on would see me vote for the M5 :wink:
    P.s. Very nice idea Gar... looking forward to the next one :wink:

BMWHaus Guru

It's funny I never really thought about owning an M5, probably because generally prefer coupés but when I saw the thread I really didn't need to think about it at all! It was M5 straight away. It's due in no small part to that glorious noise of that V8, but also the styling, and probably because the M5s in the pictures above are black

Administrator

I think if the E46 had a saloon option; more lads would be drawn to the smaller of the two.

The E39 is the total package - does everything well - though, the tight and twisty blasts or track days would be more fun in the E46...but for the rest of the year, the M5 is makes a lot of sense!!

Saloon E46 with a S62 shoe-horn'd into it, would be a good compromise! :P