Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home garage DIY

BMWHaus Contributor

Home garage DIY

Started a massive clean out of my own place at Home and decided now to spray the floor with garage paint. Anyone ever do this here? What's involved? And is it a costly job for an unneeded thing just for me to make the place look nice ha , just sprayed the floor last week with "pcv"? "pvc"? Glue type stuff to seal the concrete of dust.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Home garage DIY

Quote Originally Posted by murphykidd
    Started a massive clean out of my own place at Home and decided now to spray the floor with garage paint. Anyone ever do this here? What's involved? And is it a costly job for an unneeded thing just for me to make the place look nice ha , just sprayed the floor last week with "pcv"? "pvc"? Glue type stuff to seal the concrete of dust.
    pm daveg on here he has it done. Also you'll need some kind of grit like sand maybe on the floor to give it less of a slippy effect when done. Lash up some pics i have a serious case of shed envy so love a good one

BMWHaus Guru

Home garage DIY

You did the first step right with the PVA to seal. You need a proper floor paint which is generally grey or red from most suppliers. You can get different colours but that's more expensive. A decent hardware/builders providers will supply it. You need to put down a few coats with the first ideally thinned. Just use a roller with a handle and a tray.

If your floor is power floated and it gets any sort of traffic the paint will eventually lift.

BMWHaus Contributor

I'll throw up a pic or 2 man no problem .. No it's not power floated at all so I was thinking Id prob have to spray it like the PVA.? Is the floor paint dear? Nothing fancy like just a plain grey or red like u said .

BMWHaus Guru

Home garage DIY

It's a hard one to spray, it's not like an emulsion paint. It goes on very quick with a roller.

http://www.goodwins.ie/p-20386-everbuild-grey-floor-paint-5-litre.aspx

BMWHaus Contributor

Sweet thanks man I'll see what I can get and give it a shot

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    You did the first step right with the PVA to seal. You need a proper floor paint which is generally grey or red from most suppliers. You can get different colours but that's more expensive. A decent hardware/builders providers will supply it. You need to put down a few coats with the first ideally thinned. Just use a roller with a handle and a tray.

If your floor is power floated and it gets any sort of traffic the paint will eventually lift.
    Hi Andy, if I may a quick question as you seem knowledgeable on the matter...
    I have built the Garage and completed it last June. The floor has been power floated as I wished for it to be able to take some abuse like tools falling or jacking up a car without the fear of making holes in the concrete. My wish was to paint the floor with epoxy paint. The builder told me I had to wait for more or less a year to allow the concrete to dry and only than give it few coats of epoxy. If I had painted the floor anytime previous to the concrete being dry, the paint could have lifted. From what I am reading it seams it would lift none the less with all traffic from cars ? :surprised: :sad: :crying: Is that the case ? If it was it would mean I just have to leave it as is! Cheers

BMWHaus Guru

Home garage DIY

Leave it alone Harry you will drive your self mad. As soon as you start moving cars in and out it will eventually lift. The power floated surface is too smooth for the paint to adhere for car traffic. If you really want to paint you could scabble it, basically making it rough again but it's a lot of work. Just keep it clean and as is.

My garage is 40 square meters, power floated floor, left alone for a few years, painted in Summer '13.

I was told by the very knowledgeable chap in the paint shop that all floor paint has sealer properties in it and as a result the floor does not need that first 'sealing' stage that you already completed.

There are two main types of floor paint, safety and regular. The safety paint has the gritted effect, regular paint is 'slippy' when wet!

There are loads of colours available; black, red, grey, green and blue from what I could see and I chose blue.

My garage floor is painted about a 2years. It has little 'traffic', as in, I just drive the car in and reverse out every once in a while. Theres no turning of wheels/tyres.

The paint has recently started to flake in certain areas.

But I'd much prefer to have it done and give it a freshen every 2yrs than not have it done. The garage is much easier to keep clean.

BMWHaus Guru

Home garage DIY

Where is the car?