Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Trackers,

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Car Trackers,

Been thinking about getting a tracker for my Sierra, Can never be too careful!

What's recommended?
    Something that would work with a battery disconnected preferably.

How exactly do they work?

Feel free to PM if you don't want to post details.

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Car Trackers,

+1 on this. I'm very keen to buy one.

BMWHaus Guru

I have one in the M6, you need a SIM card in it. They usually have a back up battery in them but need to be connected to the car battery. The one I have has a high enough current draw, 100mA. This is the thing you need to watch out for on them.

You can text this unit lots of commands, like address, multi updates over time, over speed alert, movement alert, direction change alert, etc.
    There is also an online Realtime tracking website, I haven't registered for that yet though.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

Rebel Ranted what you have sounds like it'd work.... Can you give me a rough idea of costs?

BMWHaus Guru

Car Trackers,

I know someone who had a Cobra Nav Trak in a car with an annual subscription service. It was very impressive and could pin point where the car was and even if it was somewhere out of the ordinary they would call to check all was ok. I think the subscription was about £300 per year so it wasn't cheap.

BMWHaus Guru

There's no subscription service with the one I got, you just need an active SIM.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/121368785746?redirect=mobile
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Contributor

That sounds and looks the buisness, expensive or awkward to connect up?

BMWHaus Guru

I just put it in myself, so it cost nothing to fit. You can go all out & install all sorts of additional wiring like to the door sensors & remote fuel cut off (not recommended). You can also remotely set off a siren remotely too. There's an SOS button too that you can locate somewhere, the idea is that you set up 4 numbers as emergency contacts & these numbers receive a distress message when you press the button.
    Current Garage:

A friend of mine does these. He is well known on a lot of car sites
    He was doing full featured (eg text for location) trackers for 350 recently
    https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=449853075064866

Dave is a top bloke. Couldn't recommend him highly enough. Done all the work on my cars for the last 10 years. You'll have no regrets getting him to do your cars work.