Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Recall on 2 Ltr Diesel timing chains

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Recall on 2 Ltr Diesel timing chains

Joe Duffy just did a tensioner on my dads 2008 520d.

I got a full written report on what was tested and what was replaced. Was told that if it develops another rattle I can bring it back up with BMW Ireland directly.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhennebry
    Quote Originally Posted by shane55
    Brought the car in today. They just replaced the tensioner,they said they checked the chains and they were ok.
    Shane, did you have to specifically request that receipt/invoice/jobcard?

I had my car in to Bolands in Waterford for the QE. They tell me the work has been done, but I have nothing in writing to confirm this. I have requested some sort of paperwork from both Bolands and BMW Ireland, but to no avail!
    No they just gave me the paperwork, didn't ask for it

Any chance of getting a pic of these reports / invoices?

I have just emailed BMW Ireland a strongly worded letter of complaint.

I included a pic in an earler post, if you are worried about having proof that the work has been done for the service history I dont think that would be an issue as any prospective buyer could just give the reg to any bmw dealer and they could confirm whether it had been done or not. When I rang Conlans initially they took my reg and they were able to check if the QE had been done on my Car.

Old thread but thought i'd add that a mate just had the chains done on 2012 320d f30 as goodwill repair by bmw dealer. Picked car up today, dealer claimed work would've cost 9.5k. Good to see bmw still doing the work.

9.5k for a chain replacement? I know it’s an engine out job but that sounds unreal even by main dealer rates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    new engine price would be 9k . think they charge about 2500e for chain replacement .
    Motor Confidence-14b Knockmitten lane,Western ind est ,Naas road D12

Yeah im sure they exaggerated the cost just a little..car was in for a 5 days so probably included every hour it was sitting there waiting on parts and bmw to confirm goodwill repair. Mate only had to cough up 600e though so happy days.

id charge around 7k for a chain job (parts and labour) if its through warranty goodwill or full out warranty as id claim for everything I can feasibly claim for.(valves and cams are a 5k bill when you factor in all the bits that go with them)
    then you've sublets for getting the head skimmed and new gaskets(then I also charge for every gasket that goes on the head aswell)...these chains are putting the kids through college

an over the counter chain is around 2-3k

BMWHaus Guru
    Nick - I assume the 7k-ish figure is based on that the chain has snapped rather than a preventative replacement?
    Current: BMW 530e M-Sport - '17, BMW 630i Sport auto - '07, BMW 325i Coupe - '93, BMW Z4 2.5si Auto - '07, '90 BMW 316i Lux.

Previous: BMW 328i Coupe - '96, BMW 530i SE auto - '07, BMW 530i Sport auto - '02, BMW 318i SE Touring - '07, BMW 330Ci Sport - '04, BMW 520d SE - '11, BMW 523i SE - '00, BMW 328i SE Touring - '00, BMW 523i SE - '97, BMW 323i SE - '98, 330Ci - '00, 325i Coupe - '93, 318Ci - '01, 316iSE - '98, 325iSE 2dr - '91, 320i Conv - '91, 325i Coupe - '92, 320i 2dr - '91.