Thread: e39 Instrument cluster

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

e39 Instrument cluster

Hey does any body know the pin outs for the two instrument cluster connectors. Like I want to find out what each wire does as I have no reverse lights and read it goes from the gearbox switch(which is fine) through ECU(just passes through) and up to instrument cluster. source So I want to see if I am getting a signal at instrument cluster.

BMWHaus Guru

e39 Instrument cluster

You can test it through INPA

RE: e39 Instrument cluster

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    You can test it through INPA
    What is that?

BMWHaus Guru

e39 Instrument cluster

It's BMW diagnostic software, invaluable when trying to figure out problems such as yours

Do I have to buy a round pin connector to connect my laptop up to car?

BMWHaus Guru

e39 Instrument cluster

What year is your car?

1998 M52 520i

BMWHaus Guru

Yep, you need the OBD to round connector adapter. Are you getting power at the connector behind the light? Also I'm pretty sure the reverse light power feed does not go anywhere near the instrument cluster. The LCM is the unit that controls all the delivery of power to the various lights around the car.
    With INPA software you could check for errors specific to those on the LCM & you can also simulate the feed from the switch on the gearbox to activate the reverse lights.
    My bet on a car that age is that the reverse switch on the gearbox is worn out & needs replacing (relatively cheap).
    If you want to double check the wiring diagram have a search for a copy of BMW WDS, this is the official BMW workshop wiring diagram system.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

Well I connected power to the two outputs from the LCM and the two reverse lights light up so there is no problem from output of LCM back to lights.
    Would a faulty LCM just cause the reverse lights not to work and all others to function correctly?
    I was messing with the switch on gearbox before(not today) and I disconnected it and probed it with multi-meter and it worked. I also checked power and there was power there full time. I did not check after I put it into reverse to see if power came out of it.

Also where would you go to download INPA?

Well picked up a round cable adapter to OBD and also a ODB to usb cable. I also got a copy of INPA. It was pissing rain all day so never got a chance to try it out yet. If it is good tomorrow I will try then. Seems kinda complicated (INPA) but I suppose I will figure it out.