Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steering issue :(

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Steering issue :(

Lollipop bushes on the front arms was the cause of this on one of my e36

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor

Finally got a chance to have a proper look at the car and straight away I notice I can move the tie rod, twist it and wiggle it, on both the passenger and driver side,. Is this me problem? Please say yes ha.! I checked this with the car on the ground, would it have any difference to check it on the lift?

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Steering issue :(

If you jack up the car, place your hands at 3 and 9 o'clock on the wheel and gentle wiggle the wheel it should cause you to feel play in track rod end ball joints. Ideally have some one wiggle the wheel whilst you or someone in the know watches the ball joints for movement/play. Check also to make sure the 22mm locking nut that stops the inner tie rod from self adjusting is tight against the track rod end. Whilst there also check for wheel bearing play placing your hands at the 6 and 12 position on the wheel looking for play. Check wheel bolts are tight and also the two 17mm lollipop holder bolts are tight.

New track rod end ball joint are very stiff to move so if your able to freely move these then most likely they will need replacing. Worth while doing inner and outer at the same time then an alignment.

www.instagram.com/super4bmw

BMWHaus Contributor

Yeah when I grab 3 and 9 at the wheel there's a nice bit of wiggle room, more than what Id expect than normal like, I think I'll go ahead and do the inner and outer on both sides as I'm doing it to get it out of the way, driver side seem worse than the passenger side but there's still a bit of play so I might aswel get the lot done as I'm down there.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Steering issue :(

Yes do both sides at same time other wise you'll be paying for tracking again further down the line making it more expensive than doing all in one go. If you need any parts drop me a PM .

www.instagram.com/super4bmw