Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering issue :(

BMWHaus Contributor

Steering issue :(

Lately in my e36 I noticed that I'm constantly playing with the wheel to keep the car straight, just seems like the steering goes where it wants and I'm constantly fighting to keep it straight, not a tracking issue cause it goes either way left to right and back to left etc.. Anyone have this in there 99 e36 coupe.?

RE: Steering issue :(

Had the same issue with my e36 it was the tie rod bushing. It will destroy your tyres in notime so get it sorted asap. I learned the hard way.

BMWHaus Guru

Sounds like bushings alright, have you fitted new wheels recently actually?

BMWHaus Contributor

Yeah changed the front set recently, 17s on front and 16s on back, just waiting for my original set to get cleaned up so that's why the 16s on back.

BMWHaus Guru

Have you taken the wheels off and had a look? Only a certain few things it can be and as mentioned it'll most likely be the tie rods and they can be a right pain to get off on the inside. Big red spanner could be needed.

BMWHaus Guru

Double check both front wheels are the same.

I discovered soon after getting my car the the fronts(MV2 reps) were two different offsets(Et40/ET47).
    Steering was as you described.

I was just about to ask the same thing! Going round a bend and the car feels like it's gonna shoot into the ditch! Will get it checked asap.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmaloney88
    I was just about to ask the same thing! Going round a bend and the car feels like it's gonna shoot into the ditch! Will get it checked asap.
    Had the same issue with mine, was really bad when the road camber changed or on bumpy or wet roads. My inner tie rod on the passenger side was the problem and it was a bitch to change.

BMWHaus Guru

Have you had an alignment done? If the toe is neutral or slightly toed out the car will feel a bit unstable and will change direction quicker. A slight toe in will make it feel more planted and stable but less sensitive steering. I don't know the exact specs for your car but generally rear wheels drive cars will require a slight toe-in at the front.

BMWHaus Guru

Had the exact same problem with my touring it is most likely bushings, got the front and rear bushings replaced and a new set of tyres only last week, driving straight as an arrow now!