Thread: Steering rack questions..?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

Steering rack questions..?

Just looking for a quick answer to the symptoms to look for in a bad steering rack.! I'm doing the tierods inner and outer in my e36 this week and hopefully this will stop the car wandering.. But I just noticed today when driving that the steering wheel moves very freely like I could be going straight and the wheel could be close to been sideways as if I was turning a bend.!? Would I have more issues than my tie rods to be looking at

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Steering rack questions..?

Quote Originally Posted by murphykidd
    Just looking for a quick answer to the symptoms to look for in a bad steering rack.! I'm doing the tierods inner and outer in my e36 this week and hopefully this will stop the car wandering.. But I just noticed today when driving that the steering wheel moves very freely like I could be going straight and the wheel could be close to been sideways as if I was turning a bend.!? Would I have more issues than my tie rods to be looking at
    Tie rods , track rod ends can cause that . Eliminate them first before you doubt the rack :wink:

BMWHaus Contributor

Yeah I'm praying its not the rack man, no time for that now like, I'll do the inner and outer rods and get her tracked and see where im at

BMWHaus Guru

Yeah I'm praying its not the rack man, no time for that now like, I'll do the inner and outer rods and get her tracked and see where im at
    Where are you planning on getting it tracked ?

BMWHaus Contributor

Don't no man , myself and a mate tracked it last time our selfs using a homemade string setup, work alright like but Id like a proper alignment done like but can't find any in Tralee who can do lowered cars, it's a pain.! U no any1?

BMWHaus Guru

Don't no man , myself and a mate tracked it last time our selfs using a homemade string setup, work alright like but Id like a proper alignment done like but can't find any in Tralee who can do lowered cars, it's a pain.! U no any1?
    John mc kenna, callinafersey killorglin. Best I've ever used . I'll try and find his number for you!

BMWHaus Contributor

Iv heard a few lads going back to him alrigt supposed to be good yeah do man if u can be sweet to get it tracked right,, sound