Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clunking, squeaking noise need a solution :(

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

Clunking, squeaking noise need a solution :(

As above I have a clunking followed by a squeaking noise when I go over the mildest bump on a road or a change of road surface.. Have had the car on the lift many times and can't see anything that could cause it? It's coming from the passenger side (front).. Any help of what to look for? All the bushing and links seem to be fine to me.? (E36 coupe)

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

RE: Clunking, squeaking noise need a solution :(

Hi Murphy, check the following :

1. Broken front spring
    2. Shock is bolted firmly to the hub
    3. Broken shock insert
    4. Broken front top mount
    5. Anti roll bar mounts to body
    6. Check engine mounts

Hope this helps.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by murphykidd
    As above I have a clunking followed by a squeaking noise when I go over the mildest bump on a road or a change of road surface.. Have had the car on the lift many times and can't see anything that could cause it? It's coming from the passenger side (front).. Any help of what to look for? All the bushing and links seem to be fine to me.? (E36 coupe)
    worn top mount

BMWHaus Contributor

I'll give it a shot, thanks man hope I get to the end of this now ha..
    [hr]
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    worn top mount
    U think so yeah.? Only way to find out is to take the shock off I suppose??

BMWHaus Contributor

Just thinking there I had the car jacked up last few days ago and was jacked up fairly high, maybe the spring moved and isn't sitting in right .? Could that cause the noise? Just poped into my head there ..

BMWHaus Guru

Wouldn't hurt to take it out and inspect. Cab has it all covered. Just mind those springs if removing mounts!

BMWHaus Contributor

Sweet I'll go at it after work today and see Where I'm at.!

BMWHaus Guru

Grab a couple of pics if you cant get sorted and we see whats goin on. Good luck with it

BMWHaus Contributor

Sorted lads thanks for the help, was at the top mount,, the size 17nut that U tightent down onto the shock itself was after loosening out so the shock was moving freely with pressure was put on and then released,, hard to explain it but it was the nut that U tighten by putting the Allenkey into the top of the threaded part.. Took her for a drive and running like a dream again.. Any reason why it would loosen out tho.?

BMWHaus Guru

Sorted lads thanks for the help, was at the top mount,, the size 17nut that U tightent down onto the shock itself was after loosening out so the shock was moving freely with pressure was put on and then released,, hard to explain it but it was the nut that U tighten by putting the Allenkey into the top of the threaded part.. Took her for a drive and running like a dream again.. Any reason why it would loosen out tho.?
    not tight first time round or bad threads maybe? Sure check it maybe once a week for the next while to be sure to be sure.