Thread: Suspect Timing chaine fault.

Suspect Timing chaine fault.

Hi Lads, My 2011 F10 520D A, has developed a noise. When I start it cold I hear a sound, a bit like a loose chain but not sure. It goes out of it after a few seconds, As if the tesioner was lazy. But then when I drive for the first few miles, usualy until the engine heats up there is a rattle from the engine, Like a labouring sound as if the wrong gear were selected in a manual box. Theres 128k KM on the clock , Oil was changed about 2 weeks ago but the noise has been there for a couple of months now. Does this sound like the timing chain fault with the N47 engine, Has anyone here experienced this problem? I took out an extended warranty policy when I bought it 13 onths agok. Im not too sure if the chain repar is covered though, Im trying to research it before I go and tackle the dealer {non BMW} about it.
    Thanks.

RE: Suspect Timing chaine fault.

HI your chain is mentioned in previous posts and there are u tube references also --there are many people who can diagnose and fix for you if it is your chain - I am sure you will get other references -you must replace the tensioners and slides and sprockets with a modified chain --what is modified I cannot tell however I had the job done by the country garage straffan and I have no problems so far -- the crankshaft is milled at the end as a gear as opposed to the century old practice of fitting a woodruffkey and gear which can be replaced with a new/ better / double row gear wheel ect --proper fix --but no----the EVERYTHING WE KNOW ABOUT THE CAR IN A CAR engineer is young-- about 9 years of age --not well at all at all--has been fed for some years now a quanity of white powder which as it turns out is not baby formula at all and not even Chinese baby powder which would have made sure all of us could drive with great joy the previous 5 series which did not have the cocaine Raleigh bike chain fitted to the rear of the engine --I could go on I should go on -- the bastards --bugs

Thanks Bugs, I had seen plenty of these vids on youtube but none quite describe the same thing I have, I was just wondering if any members in here had the same problem and what they did about it.
    P

Re: Suspect Timing chaine fault.

Sounds like the chain has slack in it well known and documented fact now a recall in effect on the e60 520d it may cover early f10's is well but my knowledge is poor on new diesels best call bmw ireland or local dealer with your vin and see if it falls under the recall

Thanks Gar. I will call them and let you know the outcome.

Update!!! I left the car in 2 weeks ago, got it back today. BMW ran diagnostics and found 2 faulty injectors. They were replaced. The cost of the repair was 1600 euro, The waranty covered half and BMW covered the other half so Im happy. In fairness to the dealer I bought it from he was very helpful and gave me a loan of a car while mine was in for repair.

Update,, The suspect noise was still there after I got the car back, It drives fine but the noise is there on startup. Car has to go back to BMW yet again. Not very happy now!!

Update no 3!!! My car went back to BMW regarding this fault and finally after been off the road for a month they agreed with me it was the chain. It has been replaced and is back on the road.
    Not a great customer service though. Ended up costing me 1500 euro plus vat. BMW paid 1000 of the bill. Total cost 2600 plus vat.

BMWHaus Contributor

They replaced the chain?? Or just installed a longer tensioner?

Sorry for the delay , Yes they took the engine out , replaced both chains, tensioner and various other bits , they also removed the head to inspect for any bits of broken chain guides.