Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halfords 65 Piece Socket Set for €39.99 - Yay or Nay?

BMWHaus Guru

Lightbulb Halfords 65 Piece Socket Set for €39.99 - Yay or Nay?

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring-travel/tools-diy/socket-sets/halfords-65-piece-socket-set-1-4-3-8

This set has what I'm looking for at the moment, but then I'm not really looking for much. Does it have most of what you'd generally need/want for small jobs? Is it decent enough quality and value or should I go for a different set?

I was looking at other threads about Halfords socket sets but they're from 2013 so maybe someone knows of a better deal somewhere, also how do you get Halfords discount?

And finally, I need a torque wrench suitable for 9NM, any recommendations on where to get a reasonably good quality/well priced one? They seem to be €100+...?

Thanks Gents

BMWHaus Contributor

Re: Halfords 65 Piece Socket Set for €39.99 - Yay or Nay?

That looks like enough to do the basics the imperial sockets will never be used though, I'd be more inclined to get a bigger set when they come on sale without the imperial of possible.

I've this torque wrench (currently €53 incl. Delivery) you'll need a 1/4 to 3/8 adapter if it's for changing spark plugs but they're cheap on eBay.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000Y8J2CA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1429784301&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX200_QL40&keywords=teng+torque+wrench&dpP l=1&dpID=31U0uWNWtzL&ref=plSrch

Edit: At that torque it's probably not for spark plugs

RE: Halfords 65 Piece Socket Set for €39.99 - Yay or Nay?

I got my torque wrenches from here IE Depot as I couldn't find them cheaper than anywhere else.

I also got a 200piece halfords set http://www.halfords.ie/motoring-trav...et-spanner-set at the weekend and have used it a bit since then. It contains lots and is good value for the money but the ratchets aren't as nice as the snap on and teng one's I have.

I have this one, Currently 50% off down to €100.
    http://www.halfords.ie/motoring-travel/tools-diy/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-professional-55-piece-socket-set-1-2

It's 1/2" drive instead of 1/4" and 3/8"... So a bit chunkier.
    Quality is excellent, Not failed me yet!

If you want to build a few tools, I'd also get a set of ratchet spanners.

BMWHaus Guru

Thanks folks

Re: Halfords 65 Piece Socket Set for €39.99 - Yay or Nay?

Bought this years ago and like above have used it a lot they take everything you can throw at them only thing i really had to buy seperate was a 7mm allen head bit for working on the brakes http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=15551&langId=-1&categoryId=290505&productId=862455&storeId=111 01

Why do you need to torque the plugs just hand tighten them iv never torqued mine and the ngk's dont need gap spacing

Buy axle stands and a trolley jack is well if doing bits on the car will make life a lot easier the bmw jacks are rubbish

BMWHaus Guru

Halfords stuff will never be teng or similar but for the weekend warrior it's good enough. Have taken apart and put together cars with the set i have. The only issue was i had a knuckle joint socket give on me but to be fair I was under the car using my foot to try move an exhaust bolt. Check the type of metal used to ensure quality. Gar is right about the jacks too, halfords are doing ramps half price currently, thinking about grabbing them myself at the weekend. For doing the sparkplugs I can understand wanting to do it right but as Gar said get them in, go till you get resistance and then another quarter turn and they should be good.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Bought this years ago and like above have used it a lot they take everything you can throw at them only thing i really had to buy seperate was a 7mm allen head bit for working on the brakes http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=15551&langId=-1&categoryId=290505&productId=862455&storeId=111 01

Why do you need to torque the plugs just hand tighten them iv never torqued mine and the ngk's dont need gap spacing

Buy axle stands and a trolley jack is well if doing bits on the car will make life a lot easier the bmw jacks are rubbish
    Thanks Gar, I need the torque wrench for the bolt on the vanos solenoid.

Sorry dont know why i thought you needed it for plugs

Whats the torque value for the solenoids peter 9nm is it ? Sounds super low id just tighten it with my fingers and once you cant tighten it anymore give it a qtr turn with whatever tool you used to remove it

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Sorry dont know why i thought you needed it for plugs

Whats the torque value for the solenoids peter 9nm is it ? Sounds super low id just tighten it with my fingers and once you cant tighten it anymore give it a qtr turn with whatever tool you used to remove it
    Yep 9NM, I saw a few people write that in their DIYs alright. Would rather do it with a torque wrench but at least I won't be stuck if I can't get one.