Thread: e39 rear ball joints

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

e39 rear ball joints

I have an nct on.Tuesday and have a loud squeaking from the rear of the car, which is more than likely ball joints. I haven't the time to get them done before Tuesday and have read that spraying with wd40 stops the squeak temporarily.
    My question is do I just spray the joint area, or do I have to use a shringe and inject the fluid. Cheers

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: e39 rear ball joints

Friend of mine done it on his e39 520i. He sprayed it on the ball joints over couple of days and it stopped the squeak for nearly 2 years

BMWHaus Contributor

You won't fail an nct for a squeak

BMWHaus Guru

As above wont fail. Never mind the wd40 and get some lithium based grease in the local hardware and keep it to use when replacing bushes too.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

If fix of squeak ,fix suspension problems for 2 years, sound good . No more tire wear from inside ,good stable car on the road ,why would people would change bushes :huh:

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Valdelisbmw
    If fix of squeak ,fix suspension problems for 2 years, sound good . No more tire wear from inside ,good stable car on the road ,why would people would change bushes :huh:
    Yea your 100% right, but it only started squeaking last week and with the nct due didn't have time to get them done. Its a bit of a dose having to arrange time off from work for retest (if they snag it) and having to get them done all under their time pressure. The tyres are uniform all accross, it's something that I will do but at a time that suits me (wallet:wink.the spray is only a get me through the nct job, that said a full can of wd40 an a wheel off job, just about qualifies as a quick fix.