Thread: Main Dealer Discount?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Main Dealer Discount?

As per title-is there such a thing? I'll try keep this simple: My niece (25yrs old) wants a 1 Series, has to be White and Coupe!!! So she seen this one in Bolands Waterford

http://bolands.webzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/1-Series/118d-Sport/106914172055279950/

Her dad rang today and said they would be down on Tuesday to view the car and was going to be a straight cash sale- no trade in. Talking briefly to the salesman he asked as it was cash sale any change of a bit of discount on price. Yep said the salesman I could do it for €18,450:surprised:

Is this the norm nowadays? Would have thought there would be a bit more off than €25!!!!!

I told him to look at this one:

http://www.coltonmotors.ie/used-cars/BMW/1-Series/120D-MSPORT/157114290443781240/

Thoughts???

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Main Dealer Discount?

Learn how to haggle, simple as that. Everyone has a lowest price they will sell for, but they're hardly going to tell you that upfront

Also, would have been better going in yesterday and let them know they were there to do the deal straightaway, but only at the right price

BMWHaus Guru

I'd expect there should be more openness to haggling when your niece views the car and they can see the whites of her eyes. Viewing the car shows more commitment to a potential transaction than just picking up the phone.

BMWHaus Guru

Main Dealer Discount?

Exactly as the guys suggest, get down there with firm decision on what she thinks it's worth and is willing to pay and talk to them face to face.

Cheers for the advise lads, just to be clear it wasn't a "Done Deal best price" phone call, only heading down Tuesday as she's selling her Golf on Saturday, and being a 25 yr old she thinks it's worth the asking price!! I think he was just sussing it out before a 4 hour round trip.......

BMWHaus Guru

Also, when they go to "talk to their manager", I normally go and hide in an X5 somewhere and let them think I'd had enough for a few seconds after they come back out. Childish, but then so are most of their sales tactics :wink:

BMW warranty vs garage warranty...

Boland's are nobs to deal with but it least you can take the car to any bmw dealer if there is an issue

Plus you can renew the BMW warranty...

As said, Bolands are cocks.

With that in mind, go for a look on Tuesday. Bring cash. Have a decent look at the car, test-drive, check the service history, etc. Get a salesman to invest a bit of time and effort in to it.

Have evidence of similar cars, for cheaper. (So not that 2009 one you posted as it makes Bolands 2011 one better value.) Make a realistic cash offer on it, I would imagine €1200 less than asking with a view to negotiating to €1000. Remind the sales guy that it's cash.

He'll go to speak to his manager.

He'll return with a counter offer more likely closer to €500ish.

Heres where you stick to your guns. Make your offer again. Say that it's a fair offer, especially at straight cash sale prices.

Rule #1; Be prepared to walk away!

Theres a hotel right next door, tell them you are going to be in there for an hour for lunch/coffee whatever. If they change their mind, call you before 3pm or whatever.

More often than not, you will get that phonecall.

If not, pop in just before you leave to go home. Ask if they have given it any more thought...depending on how bad she wants it and how good value it is - take the negotiations up a notch asking for some extras to be thrown in like a new set of mats, or boot protector, or bmw cleaning products, etc.

Rule #2; Be prepared to walk away.

BMWHaus Contributor

The discount you achieve on any second hand premium car will depend totally on how long the dealer has it and the demand for the vehicle type you are looking at the fact that you are not financing is no advantage to you as the dealer will get commission from the lender also the dealers wiggle room will depend on what he took the trade-in against and the amount of extras that were added to it

I've been in few BMW dealers recently and ther second hand stock was presented far from showroom condition!! poor detailing,cars with marks and some needing tyres there approach seemed to be less in the way of discount but replace or repair and defects there banking on the 2 year warranty selling the cars for them
    If the car your after needs nothing then start low u can always go up!!

BMWHaus Guru

As mentioned they will mention that the car is pristine & that the car is ready for retail & everything that needs to be done is done. Even still I would expect to get around 10% off the asking plus a couple of niggly things fixed in the deal.
    The extended warranty makes it worth a premium over something from a non franchised dealer or a private sale, I've had over €3k worth of warranty work done on my car since I bought it in February, the down side is I have to pay BMW extortionate servicing costs in order to maintain that warranty cover.

EDIT: Oh yeah, going with cash is actually not the great tempter that it used to be for a dealer. In fact they would prefer if you were looking for a finance deal, they can make money off that too so they see a cash buyer as aost opportunity. Also they will look to sell you "gap insurance", this is a guaranteed value on the car in case something happens. Then tyre insurance, in case you write off a tyre with some life in it, this was a good buy in the past but as is usual in Ireland people took the piss so they changed the rules on what they would pay out on & how much they would pay for a tyre with less than 50% thread left (review the specifics yourself). There was one other thing too but I can't remember that one.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S