Thread: Adding "Business Use" to Personal Car Insurance

BMWHaus Guru

Adding "Business Use" to Personal Car Insurance

My company has informed me that when I use my car to travel between their two locations in Ireland that I should ensure my personal insurance policy also lists "business use" as I may not be covered otherwise.

Before I ring and ask my insurer just wondering has anyone added this to their policy and what impact it has had, if any? What was the cost to add, etc.?

Insight welcome. Thanks!

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Adding "Business Use" to Personal Car Insurance

Ouch.... This could be costly as most insurance is going up. Keep us updated, maybe a broker be a good option :wink:

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by eddiem74
    My company has informed me that when I use my car to travel between their two locations in Ireland that I should ensure my personal insurance policy also lists "business use" as I may not be covered otherwise.

Before I ring and ask my insurer just wondering has anyone added this to their policy and what impact it has had, if any? What was the cost to add, etc.?

Insight welcome. Thanks!
    Didn't cost much at all, maybe €50

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH

Insight welcome. Thanks!
    Was that at time of renewal John or adding during an existing policy period?

BMWHaus Guru

Insight welcome. Thanks!
    At renewal, I just went for Class 1 use and it wasn't a big issue for them at all. I used to get paid mileage for work and would have colleagues in the car and this covered it.

BMWHaus Contributor

easy to add to a existing policy or at renewal it was €80pa extra for Mrs 46 on the 320d better with it to be safe

BMWHaus Guru

Insight welcome. Thanks!
    At renewal, I just went for Class 1 use and it wasn't a big issue for them at all. I used to get paid mileage for work and would have colleagues in the car and this covered it.
    So is there different levels of business use?

BMWHaus Guru

Insight welcome. Thanks!
    There are indeed, the difference is between doing some business related driving where you get mileage versus being a rep on the road every day carrying products for sale

There are indeed, the difference is between doing some business related driving where you get mileage versus being a rep on the road every day carrying products for sale
    Thats correct. If you're carrying goods for sale it will be much more significant an increase, so make it clear that you aren't.