Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car ownership count

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Car ownership count

Lads, the car I'm due to complete a deal on today has cleared all checks with NCT/BMW Service History/Finance etc etc I've done the lot! However, this morning I've only copped that the ownership count is not what was advertised (I didn't check that line on the VLC when viewing the car!).

Anyway, the car is on it's 5th owner (registered in June 2007) not including dealer registrations. I suppose I'm looking for assurrance, given everything else checks out and the car is only freshly NCT'd for another 2 years just last thursday.

Am I mad to go ahead with the purchase, causing me problems selling it on as the 6th owner in a few years? Or am I mad to be even thinking that 5 owners is an issue?

Looking at the last 3 ownership changes, the durations are 3 months / 4 months / 1 month - to me it stinks of car tax dodging due to the changes last year in declaring cars off the road. The owner previous to these transactions, had the car for over 5 years!

Thoughts?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Car ownership count

If everything checks out with the car, I wouldn't worry about it.

BMWHaus Contributor

Ownership isn't a big deal as such.

Selling my clio I'm the 4th owner but one of them owners was my mate who had it a month so it doesn't count.

People change there cars so regularly these days, it's not like back in the day when people held onto a car for 10 years or till it dies.

BMWHaus Contributor

I'd say there's loads of cars in Ireland with numerous owners (usually family members) being added to get around tax. If it's a good car I wouldn't worry about it and go ahead.

Buy with what you're after and comfortable with, I think it ruins your enjoyment of a car when you're constantly worrying about the future value (feeling guilty about putting miles on an M etc.).

BMWHaus Contributor

my red e36 has had 17 "owners" but stayed with the same family for 4 years

Thanks lads, appreciate it. Now to order securicor for used notes transit

Administrator

Think thats dodgey........think of the people buying cars of Andy who has owned them two and three times - sealing them back!

Obviously a concern, but if it checks out!

BMWHaus Guru

Put us out of our misery already

It's obviously an M-Sport and 6 pot... But is it a petrol or diesel? 2.5 or 3.0? Spec? Colour? Wheels?

Back in a jiffy with a thread, meanwhile I'm off to get a start on this first fill of juice

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ciars
    Back in a jiffy with a thread, meanwhile I'm off to get a start on this first fill of juice
    Fill it with the right juice now...don't want to see a new thread in a few mins stranded cause you put some diesel in:happy::happy::happy: