Thread: Orange peel Orange peel Orange peel!!!!

Orange peel Orange peel Orange peel!!!!

Since my little unwanted introduction to orange peel last month its been on my mind now for a while up until then its never bothered me as it was never on my cars but since seeing it i cant unsee it

I met with someone last week in an f10 beautifull car inside and out but it had pretty bad orange peel so having never really searched before i went on a quick browse and found hundreds of threads complaining about orange peel on new bmws over the last 6 or 7 years i was aware of bmw changing the paint for enviromental reasons but my god your paying +100k euro for a luxury brand car and get paint as bad as this on it

Its unacceptable for people to buy a brand new m3 and have to bring it in for a full wet sand and paint correction i mean there are plenty of other car manufacturers who are a lot cheaper brandwise and give a far better paint finish so why cant bmw ??

Just a small sample of many examples online, hopefully the quality of picture remains reasonably high through tapatalk

This is the finish one would expect crystal clear reflection

How do people feel about this have you just grown to live with it or did it never bother you in the first place

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Orange peel Orange peel Orange peel!!!!

those first few examples are pretty shocking to be fair.

Really thats just one detail of many that happens when a company builds products on a massive scale, who are only worried about getting as much product out the factory floor every hour thats possible.

Have you looked at panel gaps in cars built in the last decade or more? Majority are shocking. Pretty much most marques you look at, you'd swear a brand new car is a crash repaired example if you study them closely.

Pretty shitty honestly, but most people probably don't notice those little details. unfortunately.

I thought mine was poor ,but screw that if I paid real money and got those sort of crappy finishes.That said, is 'orange peel' something that develops or is it poor production that causes it ?

Orange peel Orange peel Orange peel!!!!

Poor production these cars are coming out of the factory like this

Some great before and afters in this on the e92 m3
    http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1106705

Knowing bmw it will probably be a 2k euro option in the future "de-orange peeled"

Administrator

The paint on recent BMWs is shockingly bad, but they'll keep churing them out as 90% or more of their customers are probably not even bothered or even notice...if they arent bothered by swirls, orange peel wont even be on their radar.

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Poor production these cars are coming out of the factory like this

Some great before and afters in this on the e92 m3
    http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1106705

Knowing bmw it will probably be a 2k euro option in the future "de-orange peeled"
    It was an option for Audi a few years ago to get a high gloss finish on the paint, don't remember the cost though

All newer cars are Like this.
    Any PDR man will tell you it's how they finish off getting a dent out.
    It's the little mi-nute dimples in the 'peel' that hide the last bit of imperfection that the repaired dent leaves behind.
    It's disgraceful that the newer cars are like this. But it's a simple by product of mass production.