Long story short, the hard disk on my diagnostic laptop crashed - I was able to retrieve the BMTechnic software but alas, with the new hard disk in place, the software now requires an activation code and with BMTechnic gone under, I wont be able to get a new code.

I was so disappointed as it was a great piece of kit and never ran into any issues with it.
So, here lies my issue - I bought new software and cable from http://bcables.com/ .
Installed the software etc and then tried to connect to the car. Strange thing is that I can read the DME module, clear errors etc but it won't read any of the other modules. I just get an error 'NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROL UNIT'. This is the same for both INPA & DIS. I thought it might have been my car, but it's exactly the same with my dad's E46 318Ci.

Now, last weekend, I connected my brothers E87 116i and low and behold, everything works on that! I can read all the modules via INPA and DIS with no errors..

Can anyone shed some light to this please. wIll get the versions later but I think INPA is v57.