Thread: airbag light not coming on

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

airbag light not coming on

Any gurus give adevice as to what might be the problem failed the nct for not working bearing in mind had the same problem last year and never bothered checking it on retest and passed
    Anyway could it be as simple as a bulb or a fuse or something deeper now I've had faults read one is seatbelt tensioner the other is the box behind the steering wheel so I'm assuming the later is the fault

BMWHaus Guru

RE: airbag light not coming on

Quote Originally Posted by Fogey
    Any gurus give adevice as to what might be the problem failed the nct for not working bearing in mind had the same problem last year and never bothered checking it on retest and passed
    Anyway could it be as simple as a bulb or a fuse or something deeper now I've had faults read one is seatbelt tensioner the other is the box behind the steering wheel so I'm assuming the later is the fault
    it wont be a bulb if its lit and giving the code. As you've said either it will be the pre tensioner on the seat or the slip ring behind the steering wheel. Generally it will be a break in either wire. Repair or replace. No need for fancy over priced ebay connections. Either solder the connection and heat shrink it or replace with parts from a breaker. Worth noting the code will remain even when the issue is fixed until it is coded out

BMWHaus Contributor

Cheers for the reply quick fix is what I'm after costing a small fortune as is.. the joys of motoring

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Fogey
    Cheers for the reply quick fix is what I'm after costing a small fortune as is.. the joys of motoring
    sorry i misread your post. The light is not on? Hopefully just a bulb then. Handy enough, if an airbagged wheel, disconnect the battery, give it about ten mins, undo screws at the back of the wheel, carefully and away from your face remove the bag and its connections, leave the bag away from you on the ground, undo the large bolt holding the wheel to the coloum and remove. Watch for the slip ring and try and keep them together. Next two screws either side of the top of the clocks, these are little torx fellas IIRC. Once removed get a cred card or similar and slide in around the top of the clocks between the dash and clocks to release them. Once done slowly pull the clocks forwards, there will be two connections at the back with press release tabs, remove these and tape to the dash to save hunting for them later and then remove clocks. At least you can swap bulbs around and test this way. Still will need to be plugged back in to remove the code. Happy motoring indeed!

BMWHaus Contributor

Thanks will have a look at it tomorrow

BMWHaus Contributor

airbag light not coming on

God said let there be light :-D there was no bulb so obviously past owner(s) removed it as it's staying on