Thread: Clunk from rear of car

Clunk from rear of car

This happens the odd time on the car the last few weeks when i put the car into reverse im getting a loud clunk noise almost like if the car popped out of gear but its from the back of the car im leaning toward the diff but im not sure

I cant even get someone to do it while im outside the car as it only happens sometimes any suggestions ?

Its slightly similar to this https://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=139754&p=1155787&t=139754&p=115578 7

BMWHaus Guru

Clunk from rear of car

Possibly subframe bushes?

RE: Clunk from rear of car

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    Possibly subframe bushes?
    Would that give a clunk though ? The best way i can think of describing is like the bang you'd get if a manual popped out of gear or another would be if the car was parked up and on the first drive you get that friction breakaway from the brakes but a lot louder

Its probably just one of them "how long is a piece of string" questions il get it into motor confidence soon hopefully valdas can sort it i was just curious as to what it could be

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

could be diff.better check asap

BMWHaus Guru

You done some work to diff recently Gar? Maybe something has come loose?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispyfish
    You done some work to diff recently Gar? Maybe something has come loose?
    was onto valdas by pm just need to get it to him now for a look as its too hard to narrow this one down well for me anyways

Seen you looking at the Is saloon came across a 6 pot touring earlier for under a 1k shoot me a pm if you want linkage

BMWHaus Guru

Time to get her arse in the air and out with the long bar :P

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    This happens the odd time on the car the last few weeks when i put the car into reverse im getting a loud clunk noise almost like if the car popped out of gear but its from the back of the car im leaning toward the diff but im not sure

I cant even get someone to do it while im outside the car as it only happens sometimes any suggestions ?

Its slightly similar to this https://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=139754&p=1155787&t=139754&p=115578 7
    Ye sure it's not a can of Miller rolling around your boot?

Quote Originally Posted by nigzcurran
    Quote Originally Posted by Gar

Ye sure it's not a can of Miller rolling around your boot?
    Id laugh but theres a good chance it might be off to check now