So a few things

Had a tap myself at the weekend. Arse went out and the front into a pillar. Nothing I could do. Slippery surface etc, no such thing as an accident though as I was driving I was in control. So it's my error. I am just a shade over 31 (still got it too :P) and I have a full license yet any of the lessons I did never demonstrated how I could have pulled the car out of this and saved it. I was only lucky in the sense that it was at low speed and I wasn't injured.

Lessons should include how to avoid or save yourself in situations like the above as farting about at 30 mph in a micra on the test day around town is not being realistic and IS costing lives. Another example is with an L plate you cannot drive on a motorway so you cannot and will not be shown (in my experience) just that, how to behave when on one. Yet pass your test and you are free to roam the country on these roads, these faster, busier and more confusing roads. Is that right?

The point was raised that signage and road surfaces should be better. I agree on this point. I don't think that this will be implemented though as there are far better places to spend that money like Gay Byrne and tv adverts for how to use and drive on a motorway.....oh wait!

In regards to limiting, same as motorbikes, BHP to a certain age bracket? Lads we are all old, wise and wrinkley enough to know this is horseshit as engine swaps are common place and systems in this country are abused and not regulated correctly. Personally, I have done some severe damage in a tap at low speeds. As said regardless of BHP, cars will get up to speed and carry momentum and inflict damage. Also if you restrict engine capacity to an age bracket, what happens after they pass that age. Go from 75bhp to 300 bhp? Are they any more competent because they have been schooled in farting about town in a micra? Nope, they're in a wall because they have not the skills or experience to cope with power of that scale.

The fundamentals are the issue here IMO

Driving culture in Ireland is only attempting to join the present day

Our roads..well you're on them everyday...need I say more!

The powers that be are being seen to be doing something proactive these days, but it's lip service as I feel the funds are not there to match the intent.

Currently rules of the road are not being enforced enough and while punitive are not having the desired effect.

Other approaches need to be adopted. Futile? What's one life worth?

Above all else it's you and I and our approach we take is the key element here. If we all take it upon ourselves to be better then you encourage a culture and promote change.