Thread: Other people working on your car

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Other people working on your car

As a sort of follow on to Gar's problem with the orange peel on his car after getting some body work done, I recently got my car sprayed in a very well respected body shop in Dublin, while I have no problem with the quality of the paint work. It's a load of small problems that I have found after wards that's driving me crazy. Some are small and maybe I'm just being pedantic. But one big one was the passenger door handle came off in my hand the other day. Luckily enough I wasn't driving when I lost it.

What I wanted to ask is how people feel about having other people working on their cars and if the quality of the work is worth what people charge.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Other people working on your car

Quote Originally Posted by Starvin
    What I wanted to ask is how people feel about having other people working on their cars and if the quality of the work is worth what people charge.
    The test is in the reaction when there is a problem.

I recently had some wheels refurb'd by Wheeldoctor in Tipperary. When I collected the first set and dropped a second set there was a small flaw on one wheel that we noticed as we inspected them together. There was no absolutely no awkward silence or hesitation before he said that it wasn't good enough and he would refinish the wheel again.

A few years ago I asked a car restorer near me (http://www.classiccarworkshop.ie/contactus.html) to waxoyl an e36 I had. There was a small piece of rust on a front wheelarch that he repaired and when he brought the car back he also gave me the piece of metal he had cut out and replaced to have in the history file. He's since become a good pal.

My Indy (John Roche in Gort) was recommended to me by a good source and he knows BMW's, does good honest work and is flexible to my needs. When I had an obscure problem with a car a few years ago he told me he didn't understand it but "by god he would understand it". He got to the bottom of it. He has been working on my cars for 11 years. I would also consider him a good pal now.

I'm sure I could save a few quid elsewhere with any of them but in each of these cases these guys are worth whatever they charge because I have confidence in them and their work and they've shown by their actions that they will go the extra mile. Regardless, I would still consider their prices to be very competitive.

I'll try to get recommendations from people whose opinion I value and often start with a smaller job to see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by dergside
    I recently had some wheels refurb'd by Wheeldoctor in Tipperary. When I collected the first set and dropped a second set there was a small flaw on one wheel that we noticed as we inspected them together. There was no absolutely no awkward silence or hesitation before he said that it wasn't good enough and he would refinish the wheel again.
    Hardly the MV2 and the Rondells? Seen them the last time I was there.
    Would love to see pics of the Rondells done if they're yours.

Can't recommend him enough, He done the wheels for my Sierra and has done a set for my Dads S-Class also.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RossYB
    Hardly the MV2 and the Rondells? Seen them the last time I was there.
    Would love to see pics of the Rondells done if they're yours.
    :smiling: They were MV2's but the Rondell's aren't mine. He's just done the Style 327's from the 520d and will be doing MV2's and 66's for the Z and e39 soon too.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dergside
    A few years ago I asked a car restorer near me (http://www.classiccarworkshop.ie/contactus.html) to waxoyl an e36 I had. There was a small piece of rust on a front wheelarch that he repaired and when he brought the car back he also gave me the piece of metal he had cut out and replaced to have in the history file. He's since become a good pal.
    I was in touch with him a few weeks back and he said he only works on Porsches and won't touch a BMW? Nice bloke all the same.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kdevitt
    I was in touch with him a few weeks back and he said he only works on Porsches and won't touch a BMW? Nice bloke all the same.
    He has always specialized in Porsches but did some other stuff alongside (including the Taiga Tii on his site that belongs to a pal of mine and really is special). These days he is kept flat out on Porsches and turns out some stunning work on them.

This is one of his: http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C546064

The long version of the restoration http://www.classiccarreras.com/f411%20fey/f411%20fey.html

BMWHaus Contributor

Are you talking about painting or general work/maintenance on a car?

Personally, i try do the majority of the work on my own cars. Peace of mind then as I know everything is done (reasonably :hehe! properly.

And then I can only fall out with myself if it all goes balls up!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs
    Are you talking about painting or general work/maintenance on a car?

Personally, i try do the majority of the work on my own cars. Peace of mind then as I know everything is done (reasonably :hehe! properly.

And then I can only fall out with myself if it all goes balls up!!
    It's just the body work. I'm fairly capable on most other aspects. It just annoys me that after spending a lot of money on the car. I still have to go over the whole lot and fix stupid things.