Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restrict/Govern a cars speed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

Restrict/Govern a cars speed

Hi,

I was asked if it was possible 'restrict' a car for a learner driver to a maximum speed. Happens to be Golf GTi in this instance.

I reckon it probably is with an appropriate computer and assume it is/should be relatively easy to do?

Rich :-)

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Restrict/Govern a cars speed

Programme he needs is called Micra1.0

That's bloody ridiculous. LIO

BMWHaus Guru

I reckon it can be done - on the E46 M3 you can actually modify the rev limit for each gear. I think Mark (SchoonerM3) tried it on his car and it was limited to 80MPH by revs.

BMWHaus Contributor

Mark did indeed, I remember following him in his other car, a Kia Sportage and it was one of the few times I could keep up with him......

BMWHaus Contributor

Last edited by Steve320; 29-09-20 at 21:36.

Get a 1.4 Golf, Forget the GTI.

I insured mine on my own policy at 19 with First Ireland on a provisional 2 years back for €1k.

To answer the question though, I'd be 99% sure it can be done... All buses have a limiter. (Older ones are mechanical, Modern are electric)

A lot of trucks also have them.

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispyfish
    Programme he needs is called Micra1.0
    Is that by a software manufacturer called NISSAN?

Quote Originally Posted by DJC
    That's bloody ridiculous. LIO
    I know. I was asked.

Quote Originally Posted by 318 iS Cosmos
    I reckon it can be done - on the E46 M3 you can actually modify the rev limit for each gear. I think Mark (SchoonerM3) tried it on his car and it was limited to 80MPH by revs.
    Maybe I'll recommend he gets an M3 as we know it can be set. :idea:
    Setting the VMax by itself doesn't make sense but limiting by revs is probably a better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve320
    restrictors don't give much of a insurance reduction as all insurance companies think the person will remove them (similar to motorbikes)

a lot of companies are doing a trackers system but if you go down that route be very careful
    your only allowed certain amount of kilometres a month (go over and fines to pay etc)
    some companies restrict the hours you can drive the car
    if you go over 150kmh you can loose your insurance and no get refund (don't even need to be caught by gard )
    and monitors your driving so if you accelerate aggressively and brake aggressively even though you don't speed they have the right to cancel your insurance and no refund
    That was mentioned but as you say, another can of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by RossYB
    Get a 1.4 Golf, Forget the GTI.

I insured mine on my own policy at 19 with First Ireland on a provisional 2 years back for €1k.

To answer the question though, I'd be 99% sure it can be done... All buses have a limiter. (Older ones are mechanical, Modern are electric)

A lot of trucks also have them.
    Agree totally. Unfortunately my friend is dealing with an 18 yo that either won't or can't see sense. He being a bit if a bully if I'm honest and the parents seems to cave in too easily. He is driving on his dads insurance so I suggested he either withdraw that privilege and let him fend for himself or change it to an old Punto they have (and don't use) and that might change his mind.

Thanks guys for the comments and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishEyes
    Agree totally. Unfortunately my friend is dealing with an 18 yo that either won't or can't see sense. He being a bit if a bully if I'm honest and the parents seems to cave in too easily. He is driving on his dads insurance so I suggested he either withdraw that privilege and let him fend for himself or change it to an old Punto they have (and don't use) and that might change his mind.

Thanks guys for the comments and suggestions.
    This seems like a real first world problem - GTI or old punto

As a parent my first reaction would be to tell the kid to bugger off and be thankful for what he has in life.

Restrict/Govern a cars speed

A learner with a GTI is a bad idea regardless of what speed it's limited to, you can still be wreck less under 80kph or whatever it's better get something with less ability over all

Sent via my Telegraph machine using morse code