Thread: E36 Door Lock Problem

BMWHaus Contributor

E36 Door Lock Problem

After driving the 318is today the drivers door wouldn't open from the inside. I thought it was just the linkage that had come loose but when I tried the outside handle the door won't open either.
    I was able to remove the door card and get my hand in to the lever on the latch itself but when I move it nothing seems to be happening.
    So the door is stuck closed with what seems to be a broken latch, and to undo the bolts to replace the latch the door needs to be open.
    Doe's anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Any help would be appreciated, I don't mind having to buy a new latch but I'd prefer not to have to go the extreme of breaking apart the old one while it's still inside the door to remove it

RE: E36 Door Lock Problem

Did you try it with the window down abit????

BMWHaus Contributor

Yeah Johnny I the dropped the window down when it first wouldn't open. It had been getting harder to open lately but I thought it just needed adjustment

I had the same issue with mine when I sold it. I found if the window was down abit and if I rattled the door while pulling the handle it would open. Not a long term solution but it would make it easier to work on if you got it open.

BMWHaus Contributor

I might give that a try, thanks Johnny