Thread: E36 318is fan replacement

BMWHaus Contributor

E36 318is fan replacement

Hi everyone,
    Posting for some guidance and help today.
    I turned off my e36 318is last night and heard a rattle/knocking from under the bonnet. I opened it and repeated. I've noticed my fan is somewhat smashed up, missing a lot of blades and also coming loose to the point you can see the ball bearings its mounted with.Ive included some pictures taken quickly with the iPhone below but I'm not sure if they'll help.
    I don't know much about this area so I was wondering a few things:

1. Is there a quick fix to keep me on the road a few days longer?

2. I'm going to need to replace this fan, should I use this opportunity to switch to an electric fan?
    If so, what components will I need and does anyone have any help or experience on the matter?

3. I was due a full service on the car including a thermostat change and more than likely a change in alternator and other belts etc. Is a 80C thermo worth doing or should I just stick the OE one, maybe in an aluminum housing?

For the moment its primarily the fan issue, I need to know what to do now and where to go in the next few days as it needs replacing.
    Thanks in advance, all advice is greatly appreciated.

Chris

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: E36 318is fan replacement

To remove the coupler I think it's a 32mm spanner and it's a left hand thread but I could be mistaken.
    Once you remove the cowling around the fan you'll have a lot more room to work on it

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

it looks like water pump is damaged,not fan ! and only after fan got damage

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EndaC
    To remove the coupler I think it's a 32mm spanner and it's a left hand thread but I could be mistaken.
    Once you remove the cowling around the fan you'll have a lot more room to work on it
    Enda is spot on Chris, you will need the 32mm spanner and also a tool to hold the pulley in place if the belt is already off the car. With the fan belt on the car it should provide enough resistance to be able to give the 32mm spanner a swift slap with the hammer. They are a reverse thread. Give me a buzz if you have any questions. That looks nasty enough so don't drive it until you get it sorted. I would change water pump to while at it. Have in stock and there is always Valdas for fitting.

BMWHaus Contributor

Thanks for the feedback guys. Unfortunately I need it to get me to work, blanch to santry on the M50 tomorrow and then back on Thursday morning. Hoping it holds out until then.
    What all should I get done in the one go?
    Is it the fan, water pump (is that the replacement with the metal impeller I hear people going on about?), the belt (what one(s)) and the thermo. If any of these are unrelated jobs I can do at a later stage I will.
    Also what about the 80c thermo? Is that worth while?
    I know it's a lot of questions but thanks to all of you that got back to me. I needed the help badly so thanks.

Chris

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

i cant really see is it fan or w pump,but if any of them damaged,i wouldnt drive at all .if its water pump ,so u will be in real trouble,no drive at all.if its fan only,u can remove it and heater on full go inside car and u might get it on the road but check your temperatures ,not sure if M44 can go without viscous fan .
    dont need any fancy thermostats ,get what it needs from factory.new thermostat,new housing ,any new belt.most new water pumps has steel impellers

BMWHaus Contributor

Ok thanks guys. Valdas I might give you a text in the morning.

This happened me on the e39 water pump shit itself letting the fan tilt forward smashing the blades off defintely wouldn't drive it if you can move it around id say its broken off the pump