Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why use Rain Repellent?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

Why use Rain Repellent?

Until recently I was a rain repellent Virgin, I had my car professionally detailed and they applied Rain-X to the windscreen. I was amazed with the results. At motorway speeds the rain sheets off the windscreen and there is no need to use your wipers. You save money on wiper blades, have better visibility and less driver fatigue in the rain. The heavier the rain the better. Below is a video of what it did on my car.

I have since bought Rain-X and use the top up fluid in my washer bottle with distilled water. I have been told there are other rain repellents that work at lower speeds but I personally have not used them.

The application is easy. Clean the glass completely and apply with a microfiber to a dry windscreen. Once its sat for a few minutes buff if off with a clean microfiber cloth. It lasts about 3 weeks weather allowing.

Pardon the music. The rain was absolutely bucketing down to the point where previously you would need your wipers on fastest setting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Tdux6flaiGs

Re: Why use Rain Repellent?

Does it smear when you use your screenwash and wipers to clear the screen moe ?

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Why use Rain Repellent?

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Does it smear when you use your screenwash and wipers to clear the screen moe ?
    Not really, it doesnt last forever mind you. You can get a rain-x screen wash that supposed to top up the effect....?

I too am a complete convert Moe. The DS boys had used Rain-X on my car early last year when giving it a clay and seal. I've since applied Autoglym LifeShine Glass Guard - unbelievable product, I'm a total convert

I use wolfs glass guard myself. I'm not a huge fan of it on the windshield, but apply it to all of the other glass. I'd say I got close to 2 years out of one application on the side and rear windows and about 2 months on the front window the one time I applied it there.

BMWHaus Contributor

i use orchard autocare Hydrophobe, very easy application and lasts a few months

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06K-7XBrA1A

BMWHaus Contributor

I tried RainX a couple of times and found it smeared when I did use the wipers. Am I doing it wrong, or is there something better out there?

BMWHaus Contributor

You have to apply it to a perfectly clean window, leave it to dry for 10 minutes and then buff it off with a lot of elbow grease.

BMWHaus Contributor

Why use Rain Repellent?

I got stuff off super4 a few months ago and its great,better than rain x,can't remember the name,having a fiat van it came in handy as being a fiat the wipers packed in and I used that instead of replacing the wiper mechanism,used it from october until april with no wipers at all,,use it on the cars as well,should come free with every fiat as well as replacement trim!!!hate fiat,bastards....

BMWHaus Contributor

Getting a new windscreen fitted this week so may pop up to the mass if a bottle of this shit.